1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Lath & plaster ceiling

Discussion in 'The Place To Meet And Say Hello' started by Richard Keane, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Richard Keane

Richard Keane New Member

My 80-90 year old house has decided to part company with my bedroom l&p ceiling. I have stuck it back once but just shifted the problem and made it worse. There's no hope of decamping before Christmas although I have a reasonable and affordable quote for boarding it. I need to hold it in place - and stop it falling on the wife during the night - with something. Can anyone recommend an adhesive, expanding foam or the like as a temporary fix?

Attached Files:

2. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Either board over the top unless you store any motor bikes in the loft scrap that idea ;) you could push the ceiling back up with a prop then get above the ceilings and pour some plaster over the laths, maybe incorporate a mesh and this will hold it back in place.

3. zolco

zolco Private Member

Get a roll of polyethylene and a few length of roofing batten, tape the poly to the ceiling then screw the batten up

• Like Like x 1
  4. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

neat idea

• Like Like x 1
  5. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

to be honest for a days work of a good plasterer I would just get it sorted ready for xmas :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cornelius

Cornelius Well-Known Member

Get it down asap save any accidents and mess

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Cockney1

Cockney1 Active Member

Better to just get it sorted, otherwise you or the wife might wake up to a mouthful of plaster and a lath or 2 sticking out of your head! :endesacuerdo:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Richard Keane

Richard Keane New Member

Thanks everyone. Nothing would give me more satisfaction than getting the permanent fix. It's impossible to get the room clear - nowhere to put the 30+ years accumulated crap until the end of the year. I couldn't risk any mechanical solution, the plaster is 'live' over 2 sq metres and cracking. So I got some gun grade adhesive foam for plasterboard (DOW's Insta Stik) , introduced it slowly so the expansion didn't make the shift worse then kept fingers etc crossed. I didn't even dare to try an acrow prop under this botch-up. If this holds it'll be a marvel. I shall keep the Forum updated as you've been so helpful.

9. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

do you have a garden? could get a tent :D

10. Richard Keane

Richard Keane New Member

Need a skip or two out front as well for the junk. The blokes who will board it wisely suggested having the walls skimmed too. As it is I dare not decorate the room. Could be an exciting New Year! Though until then high winds are a worry. ;)