lath and plaster ceiling- rip out or replaster with lime

SJ Miller

Newbie to the forum. Have a 1930s semidetached bungalow have taken several rooms back to brick, going to lime render, and lime skim. But not sure what to do about the ceilings. Have taken the plaster off, back to the lath, about a third of the ceiling came away with the wood chip wallpaper. And was all set to do a three coat replaster. But then read something about not being able to walk over ceilings for up to 6 months. Which isn't a problem its a bungalow. But is this to do with vibrations?
My connecting next door neighbours have a disabled hoist that is anchored into the attic , I hear it clanging a lot, would the vibrations effect the set of my ceiling?
Don't want to spend all that time and effort, when I would be better on ripping out the laths and plaster boarding.

lime plaster is very nice. very slow and very expensive. most customers want something cheap and fast.

Is it listed or conservation or something?
Not listed, or anything. Its my house, so happy to spend the time replastering the lath, but not if its going to fail in 6 months, and I am going to have to pull it all down. Just want to know how badly vibrations effect strength of the ceiling set/carbonation.

Over kill and no point, get it boarded if you would of came on sooner we could of saved you a load of time and mess and advised to board over before.

Last edited:
Riven lath on ceilings much stronger than machined lath, also make sure there is plenty of hair in the mortar,so it should be flexible, let each coat carbonate properly I let them go white dry, some people go over when it's 'green' scratch the pricking up coat with a lath scratcher too as a metal scratcher can cut the hair and weaken the mortar. I hope your a plasterer cos you will struggle with a lath ceiling trust me.

You can repair some lath ceilings by Vac cleaning the back. Sealing. Propping up below where needed. Pva the back and pouring plaster over the back and spread. Saved a few ceilings like that. Not sure about your question though.

For me I would just plasterboard maybe two layers if I was feeling generous, doing it traditional would be messy take too long and take ages to dry

Done a few some historic renovations with lime plasters here in the states. Lime is a lot more forgiving than gypsum when it comes to movement but that doesn't mean its immune. If your framing is solid and the ceiling doesn't bounce when the chair is in use I think you should be fine. Doing full coat plaster like that with lime based stuff is an exercise in patience though. Take your time and enjoy the project, I hope you're not living there while you do it. :)