keeping plaster on the float when skimming

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

right when i was doing my plastering course i kept dropping bits of plaster on the floor even though i havent put loads on the float, now im practicing in the garage and im still having the same problem but its not as bad

what am i doing wrong?

Practise :p. Ya probably looking at what your doing for too long, when ya load ya trowel water in the mix pools on the polished surface of ya trowel, hang about and it goes south and explodes. ;D

However if you are getting it to the wall, you should be starting with the trowel at about 70 degrees and slowly close as you vertically apply plaster to the wall.

dont expect to go on a course for a few weeks and suddenly become the worlds neatest plasterer, if it were that easy everyone would be at it and we wouldnt be charging upwards of 2-300 quid a day for our labour!
Practice, then more practice, then still more
then when you think youve cracked it go and stick 30m on a couple of artex ceilings in the middle of summer over someones brand new carpet with no dust sheets
no dont really
reality is that most of us can stick a couple of walls on without dropping much on a monday morning but when it gets to friday night and youve got 3 walls on, had no dinner or breakfast and you need to be somewhere else in 1/2 an hour it gets a bit messy...

most people starting to plaster are funny to watch, theyll load the trowel, start to lay it on the wall and completely forget they got a hawk full of plaster in their other hand, specially when reaching for an awkward bit..

if im only doing 2 walls ill mix up quite thick, hardly drop a thing
if ive got anything upwards of 25m i tend to mix a bit thinner (prolly not good practice but it saves the arm)

just keep at it mate, in a few months youll feel like an old hand if youve done the practice...and invest in a floor scraper from wickes, bout a tenner
good luck :)

let us know the first time u step off your hop up straight into your wet bucket wont you? pretty sure weve all done it ;D

lol
Recently tried to teach my lad to lay on the first coat for me. (thought it would speed things up. Silly me)
First off he scooped the gear off the board, missed the hawk and splattered the floor!
So I put it on the hawk so he could just put it on the wall.
He pushed it straight off the hawk onto the splatter he'd previously made!
So I put some on the trowel so he could put it on the wall.
He put the trowel up against the wall at the wrong angle and it fell off onto the growing pile!
I'm sure with practice he'll get it but as I was ankle deep in setting multi I just did it myself.

I think you forget how much skill is actually involved in the most basic of things we do.

It's just practice steve.

my girlfriends thinks she knws it all!! ;D she watched me plaster a bed room n she says theres nowt to that give me a go so a let her n she got more on her new clothes than on the wall ;Dwomen!!!!!!!

;D thing about plasterin is when you watch a good spread it looks really easy..thats what makes a good plasterer...if you watchin someone sweatin like a fat bird at a disco over a couple of small walls then he aint all that...

Must be one of the oldest sayings on gods green earth but -

Practice makes perfect

and thats all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.