Introductions and which MT trowel to get?

Scott_

Hello all, I have recently become a homeowner (DIYER) for the first time and I have wanted to give plastering a go for years so now it is finally my time to give it a go.

I've been watching a lot of videos on what to do etc to get an idea of what commonly goes wrong for beginners and want to give myself the best shot I can for success.

First project I've got is to cover up some plasterboard where I've blocked up a door - I'll be covering this wall up with wardrobes so seems to me like the best place to learn.

So, with that project in mind, which marshalltown trowel is it I'm wanting? I constantly see 14"/13" MT Permashape stainless trowels recommended but I don't get if that means a finishing trowel such as this permashape finishing trowel? I've read this article explaining the types of trowels and it's got me a bit confused.

I'm thinking I should probably go with a 13" trowel as I've got noodle arms and I've seen a few say 13" would be better for beginners.

I'm happy to spend the bit to get the best tool for the job to compensate for my lack of experience as much as possible but I'd be annoyed with myself if I went and bought the wrong trowel!

___

Another quick question - will this OX hawk be worthwhile getting & do the job? From what I gather the hawk isn't going to matter too much to me as a DIYER as it's mostly about comfort.

___

Cheers all! Looking forward to getting stuck in and ruining a few of my walls

Hello all, I have recently become a homeowner (DIYER) for the first time and I have wanted to give plastering a go for years so now it is finally my time to give it a go.

I've been watching a lot of videos on what to do etc to get an idea of what commonly goes wrong for beginners and want to give myself the best shot I can for success.

First project I've got is to cover up some plasterboard where I've blocked up a door - I'll be covering this wall up with wardrobes so seems to me like the best place to learn.

So, with that project in mind, which marshalltown trowel is it I'm wanting? I constantly see 14"/13" MT Permashape stainless trowels recommended but I don't get if that means a finishing trowel such as this permashape finishing trowel? I've read this article explaining the types of trowels and it's got me a bit confused.

I'm thinking I should probably go with a 13" trowel as I've got noodle arms and I've seen a few say 13" would be better for beginners.

I'm happy to spend the bit to get the best tool for the job to compensate for my lack of experience as much as possible but I'd be annoyed with myself if I went and bought the wrong trowel!

___

Another quick question - will this OX hawk be worthwhile getting & do the job? From what I gather the hawk isn't going to matter too much to me as a DIYER as it's mostly about comfort.

___

Cheers all! Looking forward to getting stuck in and ruining a few of my walls
Start with a 11”

Nice one guys, cheers! Got some spare plasterboard to practice with first. That might give my wall a chance of looking passable at a distance or at least recoverable with a day of sanding... It's going to be hard work

Start with a 11”
Really? Would that bit smaller give me an easier time? I've seen people debating whether even 13" is too small. But I can also see MT do them all the way down to 8" and I'm sure they don't make smaller ones just for fun.

If your wardrobes completely cover the whole of the plasterboard and it can’t be seen then leave it saves pissing about skimming it,but if you really insist then get an 11” inch

here's some advice.....you will never ever learn to do this trade properly from watching ego tossers posting shite on youtube

your welcome
Of course yeah, I don't expect to be able to do it properly. I'm not looking to save money doing it myself, I've just wanted to have a go ever since watching some guys doing it when I was a kid in my parents house. It'll all be covered up so, long as it doesn't fall off the wall, I'll be happy enough knowing I gave it a go

That said, the same job needs doing in the living room at some point and I'll be getting a pro in for that. I'm not deluded enough to think that I could pull that off to an acceptable standard