How to fix cracks in PB external corners

Members online

ClockWatch

Hi All - I hope you can help me as I need some advice on how to repair cracks in an external corner of a plasterboard wall. Apologies if I've come to the wrong place.

I'm a tiler doing a bathroom job and had to rip out one layer of plasterboard, in a wall comprised of what I think is 3 layers of PB, because it was damp and mouldy. I've replaced that layer of PB with a timber frame so that I can install cement board.

But the process of ripping out the PB/installing the timber frame has caused cracking down an external corner on the other side of that wall, which is the hallway. The wall still feels fairly strong. If I press on the cracking it closes up tight. There's no corner bead (is that cowboy practice?). I think it was skimmed before it was painted.

My question is how can I repair the cracking in the external wall? Would jointing tape suffice?

All advice greatly received.

20170710_103729.jpg

f**k me. what sid you take the wall down with a bull dozer?
If it's not loose and falling out scrim the crack fit a bead pva 5/600 mm down each side and skim it feather it in

you ain't gonna repair that to good I'd cut it back minimal as possible then reboard and either skim in or make good with easi fill

Like Tom says scrim the cracks apply a thin coat plaster bead. Pva and feather it in. Job done

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi. Are the walls made up of 3 sheets of plasterboard? Sometimes they baton all the way around... Top bottom sides.... then you get 25mm plasterboard in the middle the same thickness as the wood baton.. Then 12.5mm plaster board either side to sandwich the 25mm center board. Have they done this on your job?

Sounds like Paramount partition but that was two layers of plasterboard which had a honeycomb inner and was fixed to upright studs every 12oo mm. IT was used a'lot in the eighties but died out with Artex and cotton scrim.