1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

How long does lime last?

Discussion in 'DIY Plastering - Plastering Help - DIY Plastering ' started by NewToLime, May 15, 2017.

1. NewToLime

NewToLime New Member

hello,

Am a complete novice.

Am looking to doing some repointing with NHL 3.5.

Have purchased some Singleton Birch, 25kg bag.

On the bag it states that once opened the lime should be used in 2 days.

As a diy-er I'm never going to use that amount in 2 days.

I have wrapped up the open bag in plastic bag so it doesn't get wet.

Is it ok to keep the lime like this? And how long can I keep it like this for?

How would I know if the lime had a problem? Would it degrade or start solidifying?

Any advice gladly received, thanks in advance.

2. algeeman

algeeman Private Member

had to read that twice thought you asked......how long does time last.
    o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. smoother09

smoother09 Private Member

That's what I thought lol. Was gonna say as long as Kim Jon yung keeps his finger off the missile button!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

It goes all lumpy but you can crush it back up

• Like Like x 1
  5. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

I have not really ever worked with lime but my understanding is that it never really goes off... pleas eosmeone correct me if I am wrong (often am) @malc @flynnyman

6. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

It doesn't set hard and can be crushed and used again so I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

ok thats what I thought :D

8. raggles

raggles Private Member

As said it should be OK but when you are raking out the joints keep some of the old mortar crush it and put a bit in each mix you do. This will help the new gear blend in better and also act as a pozzolan which will help it cure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

nice idea that

a few years ago I was watching some plasterers lime render a house and it was stunning it looked so good when completed (think I posted a pic here in the past) then a weeek later the roads flooded and it is now screwed and looks terrible

10. raggles

raggles Private Member

It was a 80 year old stone mason who told me to do it years ago and it also helps if you can get sand that is sourced as locally to the property as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

That sort of stuff is what I like... using old to make new look old and in place...