Hello from Haslemere, Surrey

Members online

stephan

Hi Guys,

I've just joined so hope this is the right place to introduce myself and say why Im on here.....apologies if this is long winded but here goes....

Im Stephan, im in my 30's looking to make a career change.

Found this site and been reading some posts and got some good tips from it, so thought I'd join the community myself.

A part from picking up some good tips, I also thought it be a good place to see if there were any time served plasterers who might consider taking me on. It's a big hope but worth a try.

I'm struggling to get anywhere and have exhausted all avenues to get my foot in the door (e.g. writing to local plasterers, offering myself free for work experience, working as a labourer etc) - so I'm hoping something could come from joining here. You don't try you don't get.

I'm based in Haslemere in Surrey and open to travel.

I'm a carer for the elderly at the moment to pay the bills but really want to change career paths in the plastering trade. I've gained my City & Guilds qualification in Plastering through college and although this doesn’t make me a professional plasterer by any means, it is a start. I took me ages to do this whilst combining work responsibilities, so If anything, I hope it shows my commitment.

I'm looking to work for someone as opposed to working for myself. I've never been interested in going at it alone as I've attempted setting up a business in other industries and found it hard going - I know you can make a lot more money doing it yourself, but I've had a lot of past work experience to know its not for me. I rather do a job I enjoy and work hard for my employer and then have a life outside of work without the pressure of constantly seeking work, issuing quotes, competing with pricing etc. So If anyone reading this thinks I'm trying to gain confidence enough to then go alone, Its definitely not my goal.

I have already put what I have learnt to use on a few small jobs in residential properties preparing and plastering various ceilings and walls. I was working for a builder two days a week for experience, however I wasn't getting enough exposure doing plastering which is what I trained for and in the end it didn't work out. As a result I have Thursdays and Fridays off at the moment seeking work in the field. My aim is to get my foot in the door with someone so I can slowly reduce my days doing care work to eventually work full time (if possible) or part time.

I've taken the time to get myself lots of experience working as a labourer for two companies (and can send through my CV to anyone interested) mainly in residential properties - so I am not new to the environment and what is involved in the work, as well as the consideration and professionalism required at peoples homes.

I am well mannered, professional and courteous, attentive to detail, prompt in timekeeping as well as having a good work ethic. The biggest characteristic of me is my eagerness to learn and improve myself. My main objectives are to gain more confidence, increase my skills and experience in the trade doing bigger projects, to then hopefully be offered a full time or part time role within a company or small business.

I have been working hard to get where I am and merely looking for a break and a foot in the door (and reading some posts on here I see there are others like me too which is good to see)

If there is any one out there who is willing to help me, I'd be proper made up

Stephan ;)

Last edited:
Nice honest intro.
Go and get a cscs card for yourself, will might have bigger chance to get picked up by someone who's on site.
@MikeAtthis is not far from you he might knows someone that way who could help.
Good luck

Nice honest intro.
Go and get a cscs card for yourself, will might have bigger chance to get picked up by someone who's on site.
@MikeAtthis is not far from you he might knows someone that way who could help.
Good luck
Cheers Zolco appreciate the reply. I've looked at getting a CSCS card but I apparently need to do a course first before taking a test and paying for a card. Money is tight this month, but it is an option I'm considering next. Hopefully as you've said, @MikeAtthis may know someone ;)

Cheers Zolco appreciate the reply. I've looked at getting a CSCS card but I apparently need to do a course first before taking a test and paying for a card. Money is tight this month, but it is an option I'm considering next. Hopefully as you've said, @MikeAtthis may know someone ;)
You can still get a labourers card I reckon

Thanks guys for your responses and nice comments - much appreciated.

Great forum by the way! ;)

In relation to getting a CSCS card, it seems a lot has changed lately even to get a simple labourers card. Spoke to a representative and they told me I first have to do a Health & Safety Awareness course (there are two types - a 5 day which is for life and don't need to retake once passed, and a single day which needs to be retaken every 5 years - and depending who I go with the prices vary from £125-£200) , then I have to do a separate CITB Health, Safety and Environment test which is £19.50, and once that's complete and passed, then I can phone up and pay £30 for the labourers card.

So for this month at least (till pay day) i gonna have to wait. But it is the next step for sure!!!

Welcome to the forum,with an attitude like that I don't think it will be too long before you get a lucky break.Good luck.

Welcome to the forum,with an attitude like that I don't think it will be too long before you get a lucky break.Good luck.

Cheers Nicm I really hope so.

I'm on the forum everyday reading bits and pieces and looking at the apprentice/trainee section waiting for something...

Got some work experience with two plasterers this Thursday and Friday but they can't guarantee consistent work. But its experience which I'm proper greatful for

Ill get there somehow ;)

I'm on the forum everyday reading bits and pieces and looking at the apprentice/trainee section waiting for something...

Got some work experience with two plasterers this Thursday and Friday but they can't guarantee consistent work. But its experience which I'm proper greatful for

Ill get there somehow ;)

keep going buddy :D you will be fine I am sure with that attitude :D

Ill get there somehow ;)
Welcome along great attitude hope someone can get you sorted

Hi Guys,

I've just joined so hope this is the right place to introduce myself and say why Im on here.....apologies if this is long winded but here goes....

Im Stephan, im in my 30's looking to make a career change.

Found this site and been reading some posts and got some good tips from it, so thought I'd join the community myself.

A part from picking up some good tips, I also thought it be a good place to see if there were any time served plasterers who might consider taking me on. It's a big hope but worth a try.

I'm struggling to get anywhere and have exhausted all avenues to get my foot in the door (e.g. writing to local plasterers, offering myself free for work experience, working as a labourer etc) - so I'm hoping something could come from joining here. You don't try you don't get.

I'm based in Haslemere in Surrey and open to travel.

I'm a carer for the elderly at the moment to pay the bills but really want to change career paths in the plastering trade. I've gained my City & Guilds qualification in Plastering through college and although this doesn’t make me a professional plasterer by any means, it is a start. I took me ages to do this whilst combining work responsibilities, so If anything, I hope it shows my commitment.

I'm looking to work for someone as opposed to working for myself. I've never been interested in going at it alone as I've attempted setting up a business in other industries and found it hard going - I know you can make a lot more money doing it yourself, but I've had a lot of past work experience to know its not for me. I rather do a job I enjoy and work hard for my employer and then have a life outside of work without the pressure of constantly seeking work, issuing quotes, competing with pricing etc. So If anyone reading this thinks I'm trying to gain confidence enough to then go alone, Its definitely not my goal.

I have already put what I have learnt to use on a few small jobs in residential properties preparing and plastering various ceilings and walls. I was working for a builder two days a week for experience, however I wasn't getting enough exposure doing plastering which is what I trained for and in the end it didn't work out. As a result I have Thursdays and Fridays off at the moment seeking work in the field. My aim is to get my foot in the door with someone so I can slowly reduce my days doing care work to eventually work full time (if possible) or part time.

I've taken the time to get myself lots of experience working as a labourer for two companies (and can send through my CV to anyone interested) mainly in residential properties - so I am not new to the environment and what is involved in the work, as well as the consideration and professionalism required at peoples homes.

I am well mannered, professional and courteous, attentive to detail, prompt in timekeeping as well as having a good work ethic. The biggest characteristic of me is my eagerness to learn and improve myself. My main objectives are to gain more confidence, increase my skills and experience in the trade doing bigger projects, to then hopefully be offered a full time or part time role within a company or small business.

I have been working hard to get where I am and merely looking for a break and a foot in the door (and reading some posts on here I see there are others like me too which is good to see)

If there is any one out there who is willing to help me, I'd be proper made up

Stephan ;)
You've spelt Steven wrong you illiterate f@#£_&g f@#£&r

Nearly three years ago :risas:
Oops
images.jpeg