gas meter boxes

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dansouthcoast84

Private Member
Ive had a client contact me.today.

We installed ewi 90mm and rendered round the gas box leaving room for the box to.be lifted out for maintenence

Client is changing the box as its painted and now different colour to house.

They want to know why the box wasnt removed and replaced when we were there.

Now am i in the wrong not doing that or are they expecting too much.

I thought this is down to gas safe. And surely at an extra

Ive had a client contact me.today.

We installed ewi 90mm and rendered round the gas box leaving room for the box to.be lifted out for maintenence

Client is changing the box as its painted and now different colour to house.

They want to know why the box wasnt removed and replaced when we were there.

Now am i in the wrong not doing that or are they expecting too much.

I thought this is down to gas safe. And surely at an extra
they are taking the piss dan, surly they should be asking themselves why the box was not removed and replaced when you was there,, whats changing the gas box got to do with the plasterer,,,

Gas boxes has to be enabled /extended before you start the job. Just like all sat dishes, cables , El boxes etc.The only personnel allowed to move the gas boxes or change them are the gas engineers. Same rule for the pipes.Don't touch them by any means even if they ask you or pay you extra!

I'd move gas boxes ,the are only plastic boxes,doubtfully illegal to move them,you are not doing gas works but plastic works,

you cannot change the gas box once the meter is fitted. a breakdown in communication between the householder and the gas board, not your problem.

Thats what i thought. Ive never replaced boxes. I wouldnt say its enabling works as thses are ones that stick out the wall bout 150mm. cant see how else youd alter them. Except leave room for the casing to be lifted out for maintenance

Not your job there,a plumber told me anything this side of the box he can do and anything that side including the box is down to the gas board.

Changing a gas box is a big job. It involves the gas supplier and a plumber. This should have been done before work started.

However, all is not lost. I damaged one last month and fitted an overbox.

Look them up, gas/electricity meter over boxes. Depending on current make you can get one that is a snug fit over the existing. I wasn't that lucky but got over it.

Changing a gas box is a big job. It involves the gas supplier and a plumber. This should have been done before work started.

However, all is not lost. I damaged one last month and fitted an overbox.

Look them up, gas/electricity meter over boxes. Depending on current make you can get one that is a snug fit over the existing. I wasn't that lucky but got over it.

But i dont see why we have to change it. Its much thicker than insulation. Left the required gap for it to be removed for maintenance. And they only piping up now coz of cosmetic purposes. It wasnt mentioned at time.of install or before. I list everything in quote. And its been 4 weeks since i finished.
do we go a plaster a ceiling then expected to change the lights coz they dont like it any more?

does your quote state anything about fixed items ie cables,pipes,boxes etc are to be moved prior to works starting?even if it didn't I still think it isn't your problem,plasterer not plumber,they may just be trying it on you never know.
i had a mono job a few weeks ago and the customer was in a foul mood because we rendered the reveals of their front door entrance and the mono was touching the door frame,their exact words on the phone were" why have you rendered over our front door?":RpS_confused:
it was encroaching the frame by 15mm on each side the thickness of the mono and only a tad more than we took off lol,the way she said it sounded like she couldn't find her door to get in:RpS_laugh:so a wasted trip it took to her home to tell her it was how it is done.some people eh!

I can't for the life of think why this has anything to do with you? I think they are trying it on.

But if you can convince them this has nothing to do with you my suggestion is an answer to what is there problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.