Garden retaining wall renovation

kamilf

I need advice about my options for repairing and redecorating a retaining wall in my garden.

Background
New to DIY and currently in the process of laying a new sandstone patio in the raised area of the garden. Once it's done, I wanted to tackle the retaining wall, which is c. 50 cm high and goes across the width of my garden. The new patio slabs slightly overhang the retaining wall (by 2-3cm)

The wall is made out of, as far as I can tell, bricks which have been rendered with sand and cemented and painted over. The paint is in poor condition and the wall developed a few cracks as well as gaps (due to wall movement I assume), which I believe are consistent with signs of subsidence.

Options
I am interested in what can be done to rectify the current poor condition of the wall, and that is within the abilities of an average DIY-er.

The options I have been considering are:
- re-render on top of existing render and paint. What are my options for rendering over an existing painted render? How do I fill the existing gaps and cracks?
- re-render on top of existing render and install wall tiles.
- any other options that hide the poor condition of the wall without significant repair. Grateful for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_5165.jpeg
    IMG_5165.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5167.jpeg
    IMG_5167.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5168.jpeg
    IMG_5168.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5169.jpeg
    IMG_5169.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 147
Chase across crack and strap it, fit weepholes along lower part of wall .
Get a plasterer to sort the rest.

Can you explain a bit more about strapping a wall?

As this is in the DIY section of the forum, would appreciate advice on how I can do this myself (rather than get a plasterer to sort it).

Can you explain a bit more about strapping a wall?

As this is in the DIY section of the forum, would appreciate advice on how I can do this myself (rather than get a plasterer to sort it).
Translation . Can you tell what to do so I can f*ck it up and come back and ask more advise after I f*ck it up.
Rather than pay to have it done correctly and pay the going rate.