Friday night Curry

Members online

Lastlaff

Well it arrived today - the Curry trowel, 13x5 stainless steel finishing trowel. On first inspection it looks a crock of s**t.

Attachments

• IMG_6076.JPG
    IMG_6076.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,323
  • IMG_6077.JPG
    IMG_6077.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 666
I've heard a lot about these, well one of my mates has been banging on about them. They don't look much to me. He said they are quite expensive?

I was expecting some food

Will be very interested to hear about how it goes though
I'm screeding on Monday, so that will break
It in quickly.

A lot of blokes do say it's the dogs bollix - but they are Americans, not British plasterers

I've heard a lot about these, well one of my mates has been banging on about them. They don't look much to me. He said they are quite expensive?
£38, so not to bad. It just looks cheap, the handle is all dented, the tang is badly filled down, the rivets look twisted, it's quite badly scratched up...but lets look at the positives, the stickers nice!

£38, so not to bad. It just looks cheap, the handle is all dented, the tang is badly filled down, the rivets look twisted, it's quite badly scratched up...but lets look at the positives, the stickers nice!
:ROFLMAO::LOL: Well at least you like the sticker so there's a start. Oh not too dear then!!

Right, I'm having another look - that handle looks shite as well. MT's are just on another level when you buy them - finished to a high standard....this looks a bit shabby.
It might however be brilliant when in the hand of a master plasterer - after I've used it I'll pass it on too one.
IMG_6080.PNG

Right, I'm having another look - that handle looks shite as well. MT's are just on another level when you buy them - finished to a high standard....this looks a bit shabby.
It might however be brilliant when in the hand of a master plasterer - after I've used it I'll pass it on too one.View attachment 19425
:LOL:(y) Must admit marshalltown are on another level. But always wanted to try the OX

A curry trowel is like a fine wine. It takes a little time to come into its own but it's usually worth the wait. Under all those factory coatings is a fine tool.

20170816_200008.jpg

Wear off that coating they put on the steel, diamond stone your edges a bit and set the edge using a margin. I also put a little boiled linseed oil on the wood for good measure but it's not necessary. Enjoy!

A bit of a comparison: Tyzack top, MT middle, Curry bottom. The Curry tang is longer and it feels heavier, and it has some coating on it that is a gold colour....nasty
IMG_6082.JPG

WTF - a big nasty gash in the metal here - not FOOKIN impressed.
How much does that bloke on EBay get for this tatt....it might be going on there tomorrow.
IMG_6083.JPG

WTF - a big nasty gash in the metal here - not FOOKIN impressed.
How much does that bloke on EBay get for this tatt....it might be going on there tomorrow.View attachment 19429
I'd be disappointed in that some yank idiot has packed that up thinking it's ok to send it will do for the English! (Unless it was damaged in transit, and not packed properly) Been some real shite goods circulating on the forum lately

I,m warming to me nella carbon but still think mt xtra lights are best all rounder . I,ve tried new things but just find it takes longer

It might however be brilliant when in the hand of a master plasterer - after I've used it I'll pass it on too one.View attachment 19425

You're right mate.

Bought 3 of them.

Each has left a bit to be desired from a toolmakers point of view.

Marshalltowns are better that way - in quality control and looks.

But wear a curry in for a few weeks and you change your mind completely. So comfortable and they just trowel lovely.

I,m warming to me nella carbon but still think mt xtra lights are best all rounder . I,ve tried new things but just find it takes longer
I agree but extra lite because the Americans are lazy so don't end up like them

You're right mate.

Bought 3 of them.

Each has left a bit to be desired from a toolmakers point of view.

Marshalltowns are better that way - in quality control and looks.

But wear a curry in for a few weeks and you change your mind completely. So comfortable and they just trowel lovely.
Right @bobski mate, as you rate them and have three, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and crack-on with it. What sizes do you have and are they all stainless or carbon?

Right @bobski mate, as you rate them and have three, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and crack-on with it. What sizes do you have and are they all stainless or carbon?

All carbons.

All 16". (4 1/2"wide)

Two rubber handle and one with wood.

Anyone else who samples the broken in ones tend to agree.

Work it well and by Christmas (with daily use) she'll be nice.

I'll check back with you then.

MT extra lite all day take a while to break in but when they do you will spunk yourselves
I found one of these in van . No idea where it came from and was using it to dot with . Sold it to lad who started with me and it's now a peach of a trowel . Worse thing I ever did

Well used nella all way through and think I.m converted ..not even broke in yet. Don't know if pic.s do it justice

Attachments

• 20170924_130915.jpg
    20170924_130915.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 396
  • 20170924_125905.jpg
    20170924_125905.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 429