Fresh plaster over old... questions before I make a mess

Members online

DrTebi

Hello there,

I am new here... really a woodworker, but have done many odd remodeling jobs over the years.

Now I am in a 110 year old French "maison" trying to figure out what to do with the walls of a bedroom.

Some ugly wallpaper (from the last remodel job, ca. 10 years ago) started to come off, so I removed it all. But there was a bunch of glue still on the wall, so I ended up sanding off every little bit of wall in the room... with some 100 grid sandpaper on an orbital sander. The old plaster is very solid, there are very few cracks, no hollow sounding bits.

I could attempt to just paint over everything, but the original moldings around doors and windows are sticking out a bit (but not loose), there is a clear gap. My thinking was that 3-5 mm of new new gypsum plaster would solve this... make it a colored plaster and I won't even have to paint.

But reading here and elsewhere on the 'net I have the feeling that it ain't as easy as I thought it was... the least thing I should do is use a primer over the existing plaster, before I attempt to put any new plaster up.
Others say to remove all old plaster, or else I'll be asking for trouble...

I am not quite sure what would be best in my situation... any suggestions are appreciated!

1706054270972.jpeg

[before...]

1706054308626.jpeg

[after]

You are not going to find any gypsum plaster in France. They only have lime plaster . When we work in France we take our own British gypsum plaster with us as . Best bet would be go to Wickes and find out what is available.

You are not going to find any gypsum plaster in France. They only have lime plaster . When we work in France we take our own British gypsum plaster with us as . Best bet would be go to Wickes and find out what is available.
I am not sure why you would say that? Here they often just say "plâtre", which means plaster. But I just confirmed with this company here whether this is actually gypsum plaster, and they confirmed it is:

il suffit de mettre du papier peint épais dessus
French Bonjour GIF
Sorry but I don't like wallpaper.

I have considered however to just close all gaps around the trimwork with acrylic caulk or similar, and paint... could be a limewash paint. A friend also suggested Silicate mineral paint.

Sorry but I don't like wallpaper.

I have considered however to just close all gaps around the trimwork with acrylic caulk or similar, and paint... could be a limewash paint. A friend also suggested Silicate mineral paint.
Just caulking the gaps would be a way easier task.

I am not sure why you would say that? Here they often just say "plâtre", which means plaster. But I just confirmed with this company here whether this is actually gypsum plaster, and they confirmed it is:

Slap it on - sand it back.