Fixing plasterboards to a stud wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason555

Hi Gentleman

I’m building a stud wall that will have a final skim on it. Not doing the plastering myself, but building the wall myself.

I’m looking for a little advice on fixing the plasterboards to the stud wall, to ensure minimum amount of cracking after they are skimmed.

Do I need to make sure the plasterboards always butt together on a vertical stud, or can I make the vertical joins anywhere regardless of where my studs are?

fixed the boards across the joists, starting from the ceiling, stagger the joints on the lower layer, in the old days they used to leave a one eight of an inch gap but they do not these days,scrim all joints before plastering. you may get cracks if the timber is new or wet as the timber will move, I normally fix each board with a screw every 8 inches.. everyone differs.....each board meeting in the middle of a joist, forgot to add that...also forgot what Keith said, leave the studs at the correct distance for the length of the sheets.. 400mm centres I think is the normal..

Last edited:
Welcome Along Jason.
The boards are best fixed to a stud rather than fresh air, just cut them to suit the measurements of the studs & screw them to the studwork :RpS_thumbup:

When you put your studs up ,lay them out to take the size plasterboard you are using ,if that makes sense :RpS_unsure:

Last edited:
Danny are you making these newbies up and are you logging into the none posting members accounts and posting on their behalf:RpS_biggrin:

Gentlemen

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for all your advice; joints on the studs it is.

Haven't bought the plasterboards yet, but I'm guessing that when I do, I'll be able to tell which is the right way round?

PS Danny hasn't made me up, i do exist ............I think:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.