First use of a s*p*r*lex

Tinytom

So I had a fairly big bathroom to skim today, first chance to use this new refina s*p*r*lex I got Monday, it's an 18"
Iv done a bit of reading on here and it seems like there just good for a final polish up. Now I don't know if I was expecting too much...but I am really under whelmed, what's the point? It didn't seem to make the job any easier on my body, the plaster didn't seem to be finished any better or different to my normal marshaltown ss. Am I using it wrong? Does anyone use a s*p*r*lex to flatten in? Or is the refina not the trowel to go for?

We just use em when we're finished . Just give that shine customer want but decorators don't lol

We just use em when we're finished . Just give that shine customer want but decorators don't lol
If I really want to shine for any reason I just get my ss and hold it flat on the plaster then rub it up similar to how you would s&c it's like glass, shines it better than a wide open trowel. The s*p*r*lex doesn't seem to leave a shine like that does, I must be using it wrong

If I really want to shine for any reason I just get my ss and hold it flat on the plaster then rub it up similar to how you would s&c it's like glass, shines it better than a wide open trowel. The s*p*r*lex doesn't seem to leave a shine like that does, I must be using it wrong
Thought you were on bout the plastic trowel mate . Way behind with all these new trowels

I use a Refina - I use mine on 2nd coat after its been flattened with a speedskim, 1st trowel you need no pressure then a couple more as its going should see you right once you get the hang of it, but done right you'll be laughing after the 1st trowel at the work it takes out of it.

Above was tips from a member on here, just need to adapt your timings a little

If you want to shine your walls like glass just use a saints trowel no effort 1 pass and shine Im a matt and flat man myself

Hot topic they trowels,,, i got one but don't use it.bought into the hype.
Never worked out what it achieved against ms.

At least with all this trowel choice we have lively extended debates about them......I wouldn't have thought the tyzack v ragni would have aroused as much interest.....
All a matter of choice, but often it's " same biscuit, different tin"........

Personally, I think that when Nela put a blue/black/green/orange handle on a mediflex we will all see the benefit......(y)

Personally I think the old black handled ragni was a really underated trowel!

Used to trowel up with a 11" and it was awesome!

Marshal town were solid but felt like a brick!

Old wooden handle tyzack literally felt alive in your hand can't describe but just had a real sweet feel!

Still got my first tyzack single tang stainless......kept safe in the shed......every now an again I'll take a hold of it......she fits like a glove and we have spent a long time together......

Still got my first tyzack single tang stainless......kept safe in the shed......every now an again I'll take a hold of it......she fits like a glove and we have spent a long time together......

I left my last 1 on top of a privet when loading van up to go home...didn't realise until following morning and when I went back had gone!

Couldn't bring myself to buy a new 1 and just made do with my marshaltown...then tyzack sold there soul and tried to copy mt with the G** rubber handles & went cheap in the metal!

Had a totaly different balance to them!

I left my last 1 on top of a privet when loading van up to go home...didn't realise until following morning and when I went back had gone!

Couldn't bring myself to buy a new 1 and just made do with my marshaltown...then tyzack sold there soul and tried to copy mt with the G** rubber handles & went cheap in the metal!

Had a totaly different balance to them!
Oh dear.like losing a family member....

I think it's good to try new things, it keeps the job interesting if nothing else, I'm liking the look of a few spats to try next then next time I get a job with a lot of board work I'll get a speed skim

I think it's good to try new things, it keeps the job interesting if nothing else, I'm liking the look of a few spats to try next then next time I get a job with a lot of board work I'll get a speed skim
Flex trowels are just designed to take pressure off the joints last trowel, and they do leave a decent finish, but a good stainless steel one will do that too. If I've got the wall good and flat no wee bumps/waves or s**t to trowel out after first couple u can use them last two trowels. But I have found mostly I just stay stainless start to finish this last while. Can't be bothered swapping lol

Been using nelaflex 2 to finish for ages. Thought I would go back to basics as I couldn't be bothered getting 2 trowels out for 1 as. Trowel was MT xtralite 14" carbon. Beautiful to use but that last trowel is killer on my knackered shoulder. It us reasonably well worn in too.

Was using the s*p*r*lex too early. I'll quite happily admit that I was using it wrong, but with iothe last bit of skimming, used it as late as poss, and gave a good finish. Can't say it was better or worse as I haven't got years of plastering experience, but I'll be honest and got 'sucked' in to the sales pitch, without knowing what I needed, or what I was buying.