First ever ceiling got away from me

Watto66

Had the worse experience at work I can remember fora long time on Friday. I was skimming over a artex ceiling 28sq m on my own , , the bloody thing was on the turn after 10 mins , I gave it 3 coats of pva over two days previous and it sucked like a goodn. By the time.i was 3/4 way through putting the first coat on it was going off where I started . in the end i just got it as flat as I could and gonna give it another couple of coats of pva and reskim it.. Done loads of artex ceilings , heard a few horror stories but first time it ever happened to me . In 15 years ..

28m is a fair size for an artex ceiling bearing in mind your going on a lot heavier than plasterboard it’s more time consuming using a fair bit of plaster and more time mixing up etc. Blue grit will kill the suction or get some extra time sachets?

Depends on your speed ,how you are working ( off steps or scaffold ) how heavy the Artex was . Posssibly the plaster was old , it’s taking us up to 4 hrs to finish a ceiling at the min.

If overboard isn’t an option seal it with some stabiliser or keep lashing the pva until it’s not sucking it in too fast, then first coat with a magic mix 50/50 bonding and board it hangs around a bit longer then top with another coat of board/multi whatever you prefer

Thanks men . Done loads over artex before, I guess I've been lucky in the fact it's never happened before . Never wanna feel like that again as I did on Friday.