1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

First attempt at bench running elliptical moulding

Discussion in 'Fibrous Plastering Discussions' started by Cisco, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Cisco

Cisco New Member

Thanks to the info on this site and a few others ;) I made my first attempt @ bench running some elliptical moldings.

Cheers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Oxford

Oxford New Member

That looks really smart mate, are you self learning, or at college?

3. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Nice work :)

4. Djr

Djr Active Member

Yes nice work pal(y)

5. Davy sned

Davy sned Active Member

Tidy looking piece of work keep the pics coming:numberone:

6. Cisco

Cisco New Member

Thanks for the comments!

Basically self taught. No college or training ,went to work when I was young after leaving school. Been installing interior stone for the past 3 decades so I have experience in figuring s**t out and have been on jobs were guys were installing fibrous plaster and running in situ, thought I would give it a go.

Cheers

7. Oxford

Oxford New Member

You should be really proud of that as a first attempt. I have been teaching my self bits of insitu running, I'm really enjoying it! Are you going to do any other decrative pieces?

8. choppa

choppa Active Member

Lovely bit of work

9. Nicm

Nicm Well-Known Member

Good work,full respect,

10. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

Thats tidy :D (not that I know anything about fibrous) :D

11. puddove

puddove Private Member

keep up the good work ; bang tidy(y)

12. Cisco

Cisco New Member

A few progression shots. Finished moulding, keystone and mold, and my little helper

Cheers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  13. mikeadams1985

mikeadams1985 Private Member

looks good fella,
    but defiantly the long way round,
    ellipse can be run quickly, easily and to a perfect ellipse using a trammel.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cisco

Cisco New Member

Unfortunately a trammel will not work for this application, I can mark a perfect ellipse with the trammel but I could not use it to run moulding as the major and minor axis have an extreme offset. The major axis is over 180cm and the minor axis is about 19cm. Because the trammel uses pivot points sliding through a preset tracks and not true radius running the knife noticeably would drag through the run skewed once it is off the major and minor axis center points. I attached a cad screenshot to visually explain it, not sure if I am explaining it good enough. In the screenshot you can see the three colored points the knife would run using a trammel. The yellow indicates major axis center pint where the moulding is 107.95mm wide, at the cyan colored line point the knife is running skewed and the moulding is now @ about 101.6mm, at the green colored line point the moulding is now @ about 92mm, as you continue through the run the knife would correct itself When parallel to the major axis. The white lines are the radius angles the knife should be at.

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  15. zombie

zombie Private Member

Well foook me thats me confused sounds like NASA putting a man on the moon to me!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Dropsalot

Dropsalot Private Member

Blimey!
    Nice bit of work there.

17. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

yup with you on that

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Cisco

Cisco New Member

Sorry guys, it wasn't my intent to confuse, just wanted to point out some of the limitations of using a trammel with an oblong ellipse. I try it again with a less confusing drawing.

Cheers

Attached Files:

19. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

Hahaha I think it is a case of not having any idea about it at all :D (thats me especially)