1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Drying time

Discussion in 'Floor Screeding Discussions' started by john simpson, Aug 31, 2017.

1. john simpson

john simpson Well-Known Member

What's the general setting time for dry screed?
    48 hours and still spongey.
    Was 70mm with the odd bit deeper and a few spots shy.
    Black plastic and insulation, only odd thing was light polythene type plastic over all that, then the screed on top.
    House was damp at one time as work is dpc but air feels dry, locked up so no real circulation.
    Should I be worried or leave it for the weekend?
    Any ideas why it is not dry enough to walk on?

2. malc

malc Private Member

what was the mix of your screed?
    you should be able to walk on the screed next day.
    flood the screed, cover with light poly, place a few bricks to keep it in place . so that the screed can cure. when you use semi dry mix the cement has not got full strength. you should do this every day for 7 days for a class B screed.

3. john simpson

Was ready mix so no idea but would of been standard.
    I haven't seen it so don't know how soft it is but he's saying he can't stand on it.
    Was packed down and the stuff was standard , was going off after a few hours.
    Just the usual, I haven't done one in years but never had this problem before.
    Can't understand why it's still soft unless an issue with the mix.
    Would you get the supplier out to take a sample?

4. Natwasere

Natwasere Well-Known Member

If it's delivered there can sometimes be a retarded in it, but 48hours it should be firming up by now

• Like Like x 1
  5. gps

gps Private Member

whenever I've done screed its always been a next day walk on, but its been a few years since I've done one also

6. john simpson

OK thanks folks.
    Maybe a retarder in it, hopefully it's dry tomorrow.
    At least I got a new float broke in

• Like Like x 1
  7. gps

gps Private Member

on the bright side it was ready mixed so not your problem anyway

8. malc

malc Private Member

with retarder it will stay soft for a couple of days. it will still require curing.

• Like Like x 1