Dry dash going off to quick

Members online

Tommason56

Hi guys, been plastering for over 35 years and recently been having a lot of trouble with my dash going off too quick, which is a nightmare when you are working on your own! Could it be the measure of the waterproofer - how much do you put in mix for first coat? Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

I've been plastering 8/9 years now and up here in Scotland we still dry dash loads. I've never used anything but a bagged dashed reciever, mostly white or buff colour. Some of the cheaper brands are only £6 a bag and you can cover 2m2 with them. Customer pays for materials anyway.

It's a horrible job why make it worse. Dash receiver. If the customer won't pay just walk and let some other mug carry out the work.

Reactions: 000
I've been plastering 8/9 years now and up here in Scotland we still dry dash loads. I've never used anything but a bagged dashed reciever, mostly white or buff colour. Some of the cheaper brands are only £6 a bag and you can cover 2m2 with them. Customer pays for materials anyway.
If the customers paying for the materials your going to be f**k*d from the start !

@ customer always pays for materials it’s inc in your quote ;
Yes thats what I mean quotes are for labour + materials, so price of materials doesn't come into it as its the customer who pays for them. I also only ever used bagged wet dash and found the job not so bad. Then went to give an older plasterer a hand one weekend and he had 2 cement mixers doing all his own mixes etc, couldn't believe how much worse it was. Then some poor guy would have to come and paint it after instead of using a bagged render already coloured.

Reactions: 000
Give first coat a good soaking to slow suction on dash coat , if sucking in sprinkle water with a touch of sbr mixed in with paddle brush as you go along catching it as it srarts to pull in. Add a bit more water proofer in dash coat.
Read the wall and weather conditions to suit that comes with experience.
Or price and use dash receiver bags on next job ?

20230716_004129.png

Two things in this thread that baffle me; I honestly can't understand why people are so anti normal site mixed sand and cement. It is my preference wherever possible.
'Customer pays for the materials so cost is irrelevant', I want to be making money out of the materials wherever possible. So I want to buy cheap and mark them up.

Two things in this thread that baffle me; I honestly can't understand why people are so anti normal site mixed sand and cement. It is my preference wherever possible.
'Customer pays for the materials so cost is irrelevant', I want to be making money out of the materials wherever possible. So I want to buy cheap and mark them up.

Chancer!! Who'd know your caspers old man

Hi guys, been plastering for over 35 years and recently been having a lot of trouble with my dash going off too quick, which is a nightmare when you are working on your own! Could it be the measure of the waterproofer - how much do you put in mix for first coat? Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

What are you going over?

And where are you based?

Just put the mark up on modern material the same as traditional , when quoting.
application is so much quicker, and easier work, your then quid's in, with less aches and pains,
that's my take on it.

Just put the mark up on modern material the same as traditional , when quoting.
application is so much quicker, and easier work, your then quid's in, with less aches and pains,
that's my take on it.
That's fine if you're using a machine, not so much if you're hand applying.

Cheers, Paul
Whatever it says on the bottle and hose the f**k*r down before starting

Yes thats what I mean quotes are for labour + materials, so price of materials doesn't come into it as its the customer who pays for them. I also only ever used bagged wet dash and found the job not so bad. Then went to give an older plasterer a hand one weekend and he had 2 cement mixers doing all his own mixes etc, couldn't believe how much worse it was. Then some poor guy would have to come and paint it after instead of using a bagged render already coloured.
Then some poor house owner gets pissed off with the colour and gets something poor guy to come and paint it

H
Hello Andy. Probably because they don't know how.

Hi mate, how's things with you?
You'll be like me and adjust your mix depending on substrate and time of year I'd imagine? I love the flexibility of having a heap of sand and our big diesel mixer.
Pretty good thanks. How about you? We managed to get a cottage down in Biddenden. Just what the Mrs wanted inglenook and beams everywhere, now she wants to move. Go figure. Yes same as you just adjust to the time of year. Always loved sand and cement, probably because I'm an old fart

Years ago when we dashed in sand and cement we always put a waterproof additive in the scratch coat. the waterproof additive would be added the water in the bucket and mixed with an off cut of angle bead, to make sure that it went through the mix completely. We would not damp the scratch coat done in case the dash slumped.
The dash receiver was a good step forward, I like the Alseco receiver best. We would have netting on the scaffolding to protect against weather. As a gang we could drop a flank end on a block of flats then drop back and dash. The longer it was left the better it would dash.

Hi there! With over 35 years of plastering experience, you're a seasoned pro. Regarding your issue with the dash setting too quickly, the waterproofer measurement could be a factor. Try adjusting the amount you use in the mix for the first coat. Experimenting with different ratios might help you achieve better consistency. Don

Cheers, Paul

't hesitate to seek advice from fellow plasterers as well. Good luck, and I hope your solo plastering sessions become smoother!

Dashing modern,
only half the thickness, half the work load @10mm, bag's, water, whisk on scaffold.
I still admire a good s&c pebble dash job though, and looks twice better than modern dashing.
Modern dashing just looks council house

It is very rare if we dash with stone it looks cheap and gets lime bloom.
With the dash receivers we use coloured flint . It comes from Denmark. The flint is dyed as they want different colour patterns on a high rise blocks. ie a white flint on the majority then with a purple stripe.

It is very rare if we dash with stone it looks cheap and gets lime bloom.
With the dash receivers we use coloured flint . It comes from Denmark. The flint is dyed as they want different colour patterns on a high rise blocks. ie a white flint on the majority then with a purple stripe.
I'm in favor of modern dashing all day, its about profit for me,
But a 10mm washed pea gravel looks load's more classy than the prefab dash look