DIY in Galicia, Northern Spain. Smooth finish a rough stone wall but keep the outline of the stones.

silvosa

Hello all. Galicia is a region of Spain where it rains a lot in winter but for nine months of the year the climate is great. The nearby Atlantic coast is called Costa do Morte which means Coast of Death due to the large number of shipwrecks in the old days. I have a small stone house in the hills. The neighbours are friendly and because the road ends outside my door there is no traffic except the shepherd taking his goats to graze. Like much of Spain this region is underpopulated with many empty houses. I came here from UK as soon as my pension was due and bought my home for less than the cost of a secondhand car. The house is a few hundred years old and when I arrived it had no internal doors and had been empty for a few years. I've made doors and put up wood panelling on the walls. I love it and I enjoy tackling the renovation, always learning new skills as I go. So the basement is built into the side of a hill and once or twice a year the earth facing wall weeps a little water. Its made of rough granite stone and the original construction used mud and sand for mortar. I've just painted on a waterproofing cement slurry and I'll wait a few months to see if its effective. I dont want to build a secondary tank wall because there isn't the space. The wall is not even and the outline of the stones shows through which I like. I dont want to make it flat (and boring) but in the end I want to smooth over the cement slurry coating and preserve the look of the stones. The white slurry coating dries like rough sandpaper. How should I go about it? Ideas welcome but I'm not going to build a secondary tank wall. Best wishes to all and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 42
  • BasementWall.jpg
    BasementWall.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: