Damp works on the property we are buying

Members online

there is a family in a village near me ( Dunton) who bought their dream 4 bed detached house or so they thought, it has had to be pulled down because it was unsafe after an absolute bodge, this wasn't a new property either, they are currently living on the site in a caravan with absolutely no legal avenues to go down.
Now I'm not saying this is the case here but bad work has shown up in a short space of time, what else have they hidden or done wrong ?
Lol it would be great if the op went round and took more pictures for us all , I've got my money on this one being a property built between 1854 and 1910 , probably the best built buildings this country has ever made far better than the new build I went round to last week where they could hear the neighbors shagging,

And Flynny the £5000 was when negotiating the for sale price not the tiny bit of correct work taking place in there now before they move in , obviously it's getting sorted so they satisfy the reports off the survey guy so it's all good for this op

Lol it would be great if the op went round and took more pictures for us all , I've got my money on this one being a property built between 1854 and 1910 , probably the best built buildings this country has ever made far better than the new build I went round to last week where they could hear the neighbors shagging,

And Flynny the £5000 was when negotiating the for sale price not the tiny bit of correct work taking place in there now before they move in , obviously it's getting sorted so they satisfy the reports off the survey guy so it's all good for this op
Seriously stop talking s**t, I don't know if this is coz your brother is a surveyor or you are completely stupid, but the work they intend doing is a bodge not correct unless you know something I don't? And it doesn't take much to satisfy a surveyor believe me coz like @gps says the report is worthless.

Seriously stop talking s**t, I don't know if this is coz your brother is a surveyor or you are completely stupid, but the work they intend doing is a bodge not correct unless you know something I don't? And it doesn't take much to satisfy a surveyor believe me coz like @gps says the report is worthless.
Correction of the bodged work I meant mate if they are ripping all the boards off I agree it shouldn't be dabbed plasterboard I'm not completely stupid believe it or not

What if it was membraned then dabbed, surely that would be ok as that's what we do for damp companies.

OH princyvincey are you really this stupid or a great actor,why don't you be more like your brother and get a life like him......WDYJTOY IPAD AGADSLBI.....thick or acting you work it out.

What if it was membraned then dabbed, surely that would be ok as that's what we do for damp companies.
It's only hiding the problem the damp will go elsewhere. I was on a job the other month where they had a ginnel I was using to access the flat above and the house to the right the bricks had perished and the salts were all over it thy had the membrane fitted but it was f**k**g the outside of the house up lol

It seems they have put a membrane behind. To be clear this room was full plastered then they have taken off section where the damp came through, put a membrane behind those sections and then plastered on top again. They haven't put a membrane behind the whole wall, just the damp bits they took off. Also the main section they have done is on an internal wall. This is a ground floor flat

It seems they have put a membrane behind. To be clear this room was full plastered then they have taken off section where the damp came through, put a membrane behind those sections and then plastered on top again. They haven't put a membrane behind the whole wall, just the damp bits they took off. Also the main section they have done is on an internal wall. This is a ground floor flat

Regardless of what we say, you will do what you will do.

They have bodged it temporarily to prevent damp coming through in the short term, simple as that.

Who told you this or have you seen it? Get some pics up of the whole house and the external, if you want honest opinions with no bullshit. But I've got a feeling your gonna do what @gps has just said so when you come back for advise on how to fix it in October/November we will not hold it against you .......,,,,, that was a lie, we will take the piss for a bit but still help you :) we will just blame @Vincey lol

Who told you this or have you seen it? Get some pics up of the whole house and the external, if you want honest opinions with no bullshit. But I've got a feeling your gonna do what @gps has just said so when you come back for advise on how to fix it in October/November we will not hold it against you .......,,,,, that was a lie, we will take the piss for a bit but still help you :) we will just blame @Vincey lol

We aren't making any desicions today either way - that's for sure. I don't have access to the property so can't take any pictures . The ones I took of the inside were actually taken from the outside. I thought that the blue lining behind the plaster you could see in the initial photo I posted (inserted again below for ease) was a membrane lining? Am I wrong?

20170702_171143.jpg

I also don't have any external photos of my own but see the link below for the advert

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47681145.html

Attachments

• 20170702_171422.jpg
    20170702_171422.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 410
Let us know what happens @steff.mc , I don't normally venture into Flynnys damp section on here but it's been a great thread , very refreshing tbh as most the threads have been quite political lately , last question I have is the photo you took the room on the right hand side of the front door when looking at the house from the street, also im gonna kind of agree with Flynny that some of the other rooms (the ones with magnolia paint might be plasterboarding too as the skirting boards aren't the original like the rest , beautiful place by the way :birra:

We aren't making any desicions today either way - that's for sure. I don't have access to the property so can't take any pictures . The ones I took of the inside were actually taken from the outside. I thought that the blue lining behind the plaster you could see in the initial photo I posted (inserted again below for ease) was a membrane lining? Am I wrong?

View attachment 18627

I also don't have any external photos of my own but see the link below for the advert

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47681145.html
It is a nice gaff I can see why you fell in love with it, knew it was an old gaff :) firstly there is an issue with damp and unless you source the problem it will return or move somewhere else. What is behind the walls they have patched? Is that a chimney that has been removed? Plasterboard should not be anywhere near them walls in my opinion and where they have removed the chimney I would be very concerned if it is being supported above going off the work they have done.

Sorry behind the plaster board I meant - they took off sections of plaster board and put some blue sheet behind, but just the damp bits not the full plasterboard.

Can I ask why old walls like this shouldn't have plasterboard and what is the alternative? Thanks

That is an old chimney there also don't know when the fireplace was removed.

@Vincey yes the room with the most work happening in it is the room you can see on the right hand side of the front door

Flnny
It is a nice gaff I can see why you fell in love with it, knew it was an old gaff :) firstly there is an issue with damp and unless you source the problem it will return or move somewhere else. What is behind the walls they have patched? Is that a chimney that has been removed? Plasterboard should not be anywhere near them walls in my opinion and where they have removed the chimney I would be very concerned if it is being supported above going off the work they have done.

Read the above @Vincey , then remove that dislike you put on my post, because he isn't bodging it at all is he ?

There isn't much money in this property hence all the short cuts and a quick turnaround.

Has it a short lease ?

Read the above @Vincey , then remove that dislike you put on my post, because he isn't bodging it at all is he ?

There isn't much money in this property hence all the short cuts and a quick turnaround.

Has it a short lease ?
I must of done it by mistake mate , sorry

Sorry behind the plaster board I meant - they took off sections of plaster board and put some blue sheet behind, but just the damp bits not the full plasterboard.

Can I ask why old walls like this shouldn't have plasterboard and what is the alternative? Thanks

@Vincey yes the room with the most work happening in it is the room you can see on the right hand side of the front door

Flnny
Right where the down pipe is from the gutter, Flynny might even agree with me on this

Flnny
These type of properties should not be dabbed because they are solid walls which get cold and cause cold spots, they should be be done with like for like ie lime sand mortar.
Right where the down pipe is from the gutter, Flynny might even agree with me on this
post the pic your looking at

Just seen it, looks like there has been an issue with the render which looks like it's been patched (badly in my opinion), also the path may need looking at to see which way the rain water runs. Might be an idea to fly round there if it pisses down to see what's happening on the outside.

Is that drain cover ? I can't see good enough to work it out
IMG_7017.PNG
IMG_7018.PNG

Tbf looks like it's all going towards the house

Thanks for all your feedback so far guys, it's really appreciated. Let me know what aspects of the external building you want me to take closer photos off and I'll go round this evening or the weekend. It was absolutely pishing down this morning but has cleared up for now - but it's Scotland, the rain won't be far away

Thanks for all your feedback so far guys, it's really appreciated. Let me know what aspects of the external building you want me to take closer photos off and I'll go round this evening or the weekend. It was absolutely pishing down this morning but has cleared up for now - but it's Scotland, the rain won't be far away
I think Flynny has gone to the gym now but he'll be back tonight so check in later just confirm what he wants but the down pipe in the photo above looks like it's had water pissing out of it from the top floor which we can see on the stone wall at the bottom on ground it looks like a manhole cover and the ground slabs are pointing towards the house , tbh I think that's what Flynny wants to see

Ps ignore gps

So you had a surveyor out who probably mentioned to the vendor that they have damp, now your mortgage firm will ask you to carry out damp proofing to release the mortgage, simple, so the vendor went ahead and started doing it hopefully done by a firm who's guarantee will be accepted by your mortgage provider, therefore you can't knock the price down. Heyho presto all is sorted, even if you pull out and the next purchaser comes along and having a survey done the vendor can show the guarantee to the surveyor that it's been done recently therefore mortgage firm will be happy to lend.

I think Flynny has gone to the gym now but he'll be back tonight so check in later just confirm what he wants but the down pipe in the photo above looks like it's had water pissing out of it from the top floor which we can see on the stone wall at the bottom on ground it looks like a manhole cover and the ground slabs are pointing towards the house , tbh I think that's what Flynny wants to see

Ps ignore gps

Says the forums serial liar, and failed promotional poster boy

So you had a surveyor out who probably mentioned to the vendor that they have damp, now your mortgage firm will ask you to carry out damp proofing to release the mortgage, simple, so the vendor went ahead and started doing it hopefully done by a firm who's guarantee will be accepted by your mortgage provider, therefore you can't knock the price down. Heyho presto all is sorted, even if you pull out and the next purchaser comes along and having a survey done the vendor can show the guarantee to the surveyor that it's been done recently therefore mortgage firm will be happy to lend.
That makes sense

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

That makes sense

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Just a thought, is the guarantee attached to the property, current owner or the person who paid for the work to be done? They are usually worthless anyway but thought I would ask :)

Just a thought, is the guarantee attached to the property, current owner or the person who paid for the work to be done? They are usually worthless anyway but thought I would ask :)

question that needs to be asked...

to be honest when I buy/look at a house I ignore any work they have carried out and take it as I find it... most of the time the work is not carried out to my standard anyway so redo it... like a car to be honest... sold as seen :D