Damp spreading

mark121

Hello everyone,

Hoping you can spread some light on my problems ? just had a wall re plastered the damp has come back through and spread like wild fire.even onto walls that were never damp.three days after the damp appeared its starting to shrink.....i was told by someone that the plaster may all have to come off back to brickwork !!

its a grade 2 listed cottage ive owned for 20 years and its a mystery.The wall where the problem started always seems to blow the plaster out in certain areas after some time ,what would be the best course of action so i dont keep getting hassle from the same area of damp.And in another room my friend told me to put one coat damp seal on a 4 x 2 damp patch and the damp is spreading should i take the plaster off ? do i need vents fitting ...I would really appreciate any help or advice you can give me ....also should the plaster have been a lime plaster to let the walls breath ?

The writing below is from a google search not my writing....

The solution is to remove render and let the walls dry out. If brickwork is damaged and needs repair or replacement, it should be done with lime mortar. If it is proposed to re-render, you must always uselime render, which can breathe freely, and allows trapped moisture to escape.

Last edited by a moderator:
17426148_10211606554301535_3186273024174560048_n.jpg

The whole wall had been plastered about 10 years ago and where the large damp spot is on the right it had all blown away as the left side.I took it off and the guy put plaster on all over but half way up the wall only.you can see the RAD on the right well there is a stiarcase that goes up into the lounge and the damp has spread under it and along a wall that has never had damp before ! I would say about 4/5 feet along .I have spots like this in the lounge although not as bad but are getting bigger ...Appreciate any help i can get Thankyou.And it has also gone left of the picture towards the kitchen as well ....A bloody nightmare !!!

So if the wrong material has been used ? what should have been used and how do i rectify it.....do i have to take the plaster off where all the damp has spread ? grrrrrrrr

This is a ------ nightmare grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
You have confirmed "normal plaster" was used so I'm guessing it's gypsum based as I posted earlier. Go on Safeguard website and look at the Dryzone products. Depending where you live in the country? Get one of their reps out who will explain what you need to do in order not to have this problem occurring again. I hope this helps as I can tell you are (rightly so) pissed off

so have much do i hack off the lot or just above where the damp is say 4/5 feet high .....does the sakirting all have to come off as well ???

Theres a picture of a bit of wall....ive taken the new plaster off and you can see the old plaster there and sand and cement underneath ? and where its really dark i can feel a flint ...would you take all the plaster off back to the sand and cement

shall i take it all off as far as the damps spreads which is now three walls ,,,and shall i take it back to the grey area which i presume is sand and cement

new plaster old plaster sand and cement ? and bare original wall and to the right of the plug you can see the damp patch

Have they plastered to the floor (behind the skirting) il bet they have? I do feel for you pal as you paid for a job to be done properly and you get this shite