DAMP RENDER DIY ADVICE

RichM1085

Good Morning all

Apologies if this is in the wrong section - this is my first post.

I own a 1930's semi detached house in south wales. I have owned it for 6 years, and for those 6 years, we have had a minor damp issue in the entrance way to the house.

Just to give a bit of info, when we got the house, it had two air bricks fitted by the damp area, but also had the foam ball cavity wall insulation. I was told by a builder who was in quoting for some other work that we should not have air bricks as itll allow rain in and the CWI will transfer the water to the inside wall - so he quickly filled them in with mortar. We then, 5 years a go, had the CWI removed under the warranty as it shouldnt have been installed in the first place and the previous owner had essentially been mis sold it.

The exterior of the house is pebbledashed which, like every other house on the street, goes down to ground level. I am unsure what DPC is there as ive never seen under the pebbledash.

I had a damp expert in last week who advised no rising damp and couldnt really see any major concern - just left with some advice. We have a new roof and gutters so no issue there - but he thought maybe rain was bouncing off the path and hitting the house.

Ive added some photos. Please note, the one of the external wall, there is a shadow from the wall that makes it look worse than it is. There is green moss growing on the damp section.

I have re opened the air bricks, but when we have dry weather, plan to take them out and check the cavity for any debris.

You can see the internal wall, which I am in the process of hacking off. Also, along the lower course of bricks, there are holes every 8 cm in the mortar line, so not sure if someone has tried something before.

I also plan when doing the air brick, to remove about a meter heights worth of pebbledash render, as the lower 10/15cm by the front door has blown - which again, may be a reason the damp?

What I want to know is - what should I do to put it all right again. I am a complete novice, DIY-er, but am quite handy at these smaller jobs - I just lack the knowledge to know whats best and every google brings up something different.

What should I use to re render the small area of pebbledash I will remove?

What should I use to re render the internal wall? Ive been told I can just plasterboard it?

Should i insert dry rods, or a dpc cream?

Any advice is greatly appreciated - I just need a clear step by step guide on what to use

Many Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7281.jpeg
    IMG_7281.jpeg
    929.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7283.jpeg
    IMG_7283.jpeg
    760 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7279.jpeg
    IMG_7279.jpeg
    588.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7280.jpeg
    IMG_7280.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7277.jpeg
    IMG_7277.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7276.jpeg
    IMG_7276.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7278.jpeg
    IMG_7278.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7282.jpeg
    IMG_7282.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 34
Rising damp does not exist- it is a fairytale .

Ground level too high .it’s that simple
Cut a break from house @150mm @200mm deep /excavate install edging install gravel .

Good Morning all

I own a 1930's semi detached house in south wales. I have owned it for 6 years, and for those 6 years, we have had a minor damp issue in the entrance way to the house.

Just to give a bit of info, when we got the house, it had two air bricks fitted by the damp area, but also had the foam ball cavity wall insulation. I was told by a builder who was in quoting for some other work that we should not have air bricks as itll allow rain in and the CWI will transfer the water to the inside wall - so he quickly filled them in with mortar. We then, 5 years a go, had the CWI removed under the warranty as it shouldnt have been installed in the first place and the previous owner had essentially been mis sold it.

The exterior of the house is pebbledashed which, like every other house on the street, goes down to ground level. I am unsure what DPC is there as ive never seen under the pebbledash.

I had a damp expert in last week who advised no rising damp and couldnt really see any major concern - just left with some advice. We have a new roof and gutters so no issue there - but he thought maybe rain was bouncing off the path and hitting the house.

Ive added some photos. Please note, the one of the external wall, there is a shadow from the wall that makes it look worse than it is. There is green moss growing on the damp section.

I have re opened the air bricks, but when we have dry weather, plan to take them out and check the cavity for any debris.

You can see the internal wall, which I am in the process of hacking off. Also, along the lower course of bricks, there are holes every 8 cm in the mortar line, so not sure if someone has tried something before.

I also plan when doing the air brick, to remove about a meter heights worth of pebbledash render, as the lower 10/15cm by the front door has blown - which again, may be a reason the damp?

What I want to know is - what should I do to put it all right again. I am a complete novice, DIY-er, but am quite handy at these smaller jobs - I just lack the knowledge to know whats best and every google brings up something different.

What should I use to re render the internal wall? Ive been told I can just plasterboard it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated - I just need a clear step by step guide on what to use

Many Thanks

Hi Rich. I can provide a step by step guide with links to all materials required. Cost would be £300. Please send me a private message if you want to proceed.

Good Morning all

Many Thanks

I would say that water is hitting the ground and then bouncing up and soaking the wall...

I had to put a french drain (dug a trench and filled with pea gravel) around a building that had the same problem...

Maybe a gutter is also leaking above in high rainfall...