Damp Lath & Plaster

grobbarg

Hi all,

First post here, trying to figure out what to do with some damp spots on lath and plaster and would
really appreciate some advice please on re-instating the lath and plaster after it's been cut out.

Whilst re-decorating our dining room we found some smallish damp patches on the side of the chimney breast and adjacent wall. A surveyor came and checked it out and diagnosed fallen debris building up against the lath and plaster and the outer granite wall transmitting moisture. He reckoned it was within the scope of a DIYer to carry out the repairs - so long as tape was used.
So far we've cut out a hole and found debris had indeed built up against the wall and together with a strong vacuum cleaner picked out some of the debris. We'll need to cut round to the adjacent wall past the pencil marks shown on the photo, and probably remove a couple laths to access the rest of the debris.

The question is, what is best practice to re-instate the plaster, i.e. materials to use that suit the building (1920's granite house) and method to achieve a decent result against the corner beading and internal corner. Also, there would appear to be some dampness above the area already cut out i.e. between coving and picture rail, would it be best to remove picture rail and rip the whole length out or is there a less destructive method? Access to the gap can be gained from the eaves if that's any use.

I would consider myself fairly handy, however this is something I have not done before, and as I have some time on my hands thought I'd give it a go.

TIA for any advice.

Rob

Attachments

• IMAG0631.jpg
    IMAG0631.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 981
Hi Rob,

First post here also. I have a similar issue of damp patches on lath and plaster and suspect the same cause of debris between the exterior wall and the plaster. My plan is to remove the damp plaster and some lath to get access to the cavity then clean out the debris before re-plastering.

I was wondering if you could let me know what you did or share any advice?

Also how did you remove the plaster keeping the lath intact?

Thanks,
Ali

Hi Rob,

First post here also. I have a similar issue of damp patches on lath and plaster and suspect the same cause of debris between the exterior wall and the plaster. My plan is to remove the damp plaster and some lath to get access to the cavity then clean out the debris before re-plastering.

I was wondering if you could let me know what you did or share any advice?

Also how did you remove the plaster keeping the lath intact?

Thanks,
Ali

Welcome :D