Cracks in rendering - should it be repaired? Redone?

JCR

Hi,

I moved into a new property and there are several cracks on the outside render of the bedroom and the side wall by one of the airbricks.

When so I be concerned about these? Should they be repaired? Redone?

Some pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 326
Get a recommend professional to come and give you a quote if I were you pal. You can't "fix" that on the cheap or you will be back to square one in no time and kick yourself. Where are you based? One of the many fine lads and lasses on here may be able to pop round and advise? Best of luck. It does look bloody awful tho

Def not a new build. Prob do no harm leaving the walls the way they are but look as rough as a badgers arse. Get it stripped and replastered and don’t forgot to pay top notch for us wonderful plasterers.

Sure you can have it redone but a new coat of plaster isn't going to stop a 300 ton building from moving if that's the cause. (and it looks like it is).

You could change the look to something different if you like but be prepared for those cracks to come back. Cracks over windows, doors, and other wall pent rations are very common and usually indicate structural movement. They could have put in expansion joints to help but a lot of people hate seeing those.

Here is a job I'm on now showing expansion bead to help reduce cracks. Some people would rather have a small hair line crack than a large joint. (You guys will get a kick out of this scaffold setup 24' aluminum pick 30' up. Can only have 1 guy on it at a time and need a ladder in the middle to do the gable peak.:frenetico:)

20171013_145933.jpg

Attachments

• 20171013_145943.jpg
    20171013_145943.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 293
  • 20171003_122536.jpg
    20171003_122536.jpg
    945.4 KB · Views: 353
Sure you can have it redone but a new coat of plaster isn't going to stop a 300 ton building from moving if that's the cause. (and it looks like it is).

You could change the look to something different if you like but be prepared for those cracks to come back. Cracks over windows, doors, and other wall pent rations are very common and usually indicate structural movement. They could have put in expansion joints to help but a lot of people hate seeing those.

Here is a job I'm on now showing expansion bead to help reduce cracks. Some people would rather have a small hair line crack than a large joint. (You guys will get a kick out of this scaffold setup 24' aluminum pick 30' up. Can only have 1 guy on it at a time and need a ladder in the middle to do the gable peak.:frenetico:)

View attachment 19801
That is seriously dangerous.

View attachment 19801

thats a no chance from me!!!

View attachment 19801
Do you have guys who work for you that use that scaffold?

Nah, f**k that. I wouldn't be fit to stand on it, I'd freeze before I even got up there likely.

could you imagine trying to word your method statement/risk assessment, h&s would believe you were nuts:frenetico:

I've rigged up some pretty good scaffold comprising of trestles steel drums and crates. I'd go up there fine[emoji6]

I've rigged up some pretty good scaffold comprising of trestles steel drums and crates. I'd go up there fine[emoji6]

I've stood on my mate's shoulders before when we ran out of tat to pile up and still weren't high enough.