Cracks in plaster after dpc installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geordie1

Hi all,

I posted here a while back about a problem with a dpc in which a company I used had to re-do the plastering, after injecting my wall as we had damp.

Sorry I can't find that thread but it was done maybe 5-9 months ago. They resolved it satisfactorily.

We now have cracks appearing in that wall and I wanted to ask your advice.

Is this normal? Will this be covered in the guarantee we were given by the company?

http://imgur.com/a/WyPnv

Middle pic is quite close up.

Any help greatly appreciated.

looks like shrinkage cracks from the render and finish curing a different times

Can't see the pic so don't know how bad it is but quite a few damp proofing firms have in there terms and conditions that shrinkage cracks are normal and aren't a defect. They should be filled and sanded.
Basically it's a load of bollucks which enables them to complete the job quickly without letting the sand and cement cure properly.
Although you mention it was done a while a ago and if they've just appeared then it would be worth getting them back to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I posted here a while back about a problem with a dpc in which a company I used had to re-do the plastering, after injecting my wall as we had damp.

Sorry I can't find that thread but it was done maybe 5-9 months ago. They resolved it satisfactorily.

We now have cracks appearing in that wall and I wanted to ask your advice.

Is this normal? Will this be covered in the guarantee we were given by the company?

http://imgur.com/a/WyPnv

Middle pic is quite close up.

Any help greatly appreciated.

In short No, the guarantee will be against further rising damp. Somewhere in your paper work it will probably say that any decoration in the first 6 months or so should be deemed as temporary as cracks can appear.

they are shrinkage cracks and are hard to avoid (when rushing), as the render dried the water evaporated and the plaster got smaller, pulling back and cracking, we use an sbr to limit this but it still sometimes happens, this wont affect the damp proofing as it should only be the backing coat that has cracked out, simply rake out and fill with normal filler, but if you tap the wall and it sounds hollow could be blown plaster, your warranty will not cover this as dense sand cement renders do crack out as being cement rich they don't have much flexural strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.