Chalky paint

Members online

Natwasere

Somebody mentioned artex coming away mid skim and it made me think about that chalky dusty paint (usually green or orange sometimes blue) that usually is the problem for me.

I hate that stuff with a passion and wondered what people's method of skimming over it is? Mine is usually make sure as much off as poss, then stabilising solution and allow to dry and pva/pre grit. Is there a better/ more proper way?

Stabilex stablising solution. Made by artex. Fixes all friable surfaces including distemper. Expensive but you only need a drop. A tub lasts forever.

I know the stuff you are talking about and it is f**k**g horrible. If I come across it my method is to scrape back as much as I can.

If some remains following that then I put good thick coat of PVA with little water added. Coating the surface until it dripping down the wall. Then skim.

Always worked that way for me.

when ever i ever have to plaster a distemper decorated ceiling it gets an overboard. never take a risk, if i go back to a customers house it is to do more work for them not put work right !

when ever i ever have to plaster a distemper decorated ceiling it gets an overboard. never take a risk, if i go back to a customers house it is to do more work for them not put work right !
Stabilex will fix distemper. It's the only stabilising solution that does.

The exterior paint prep ones do too. Been using them for years wickes, sandtex etc etc but need to be left overnight really to overcoat it...... often not bothered scraping it either (builder couldn't be bothered)

And I used really diluted pva once and......... it shelled off. 3 days work, 2 visits to view job, 4 bags of multi, stabilising solution, plenty of rubbish and sheeting up, plus also taking artex that failed mid scrape off (was not expecting) all for 120 quid. Big lesson that job.

Point of this is I do not recommend. Pva on unstabalised distemper.