Brexit Render/tool Costs

Vincey

Private Member
Tbh I don't care one bit about all the ins and outs of leaving just thinking today though about plastering materials costs.

Might be another daft question but maybe some intellectuals amongst us might know but when we leave would it affect the costs of stuff brought into u.k or be cheaper?
If we were say talking Pre bagged renders and tools from Europe?

Tbh I don't care one bit about all the ins and outs of leaving just thinking today though about plastering materials costs.

Might be another daft question but maybe some intellectuals amongst us might know but when we leave would it affect the costs of stuff brought into u.k or be cheaper?

despite what some numpties might say, it will not change By any significant amount the eu need us more than we need them

At least 20% up and that's after the official Brexit starts. Merchants are trying to ease it rising slowly the prices now, which is not good cos the 20% will be for import alone

when i purchase items for my other business out side of of Europe i have to pay 8% import duty, £10 to parcel force for collecting the payment, then 20% vat on the total. then i have to wait weeks for the items to come through customs. all imports will increase.

At least 20% up and that's after the official Brexit starts. Merchants are trying to ease it rising slowly the prices now, which is not good cos the 20% will be for import alone

A free trade agreement comes with a 20% increase does it lol

Keep remoaning pmsl

Keep telling yourself that mate! 2019 is the year I am looking forward! You haven't forgotten ,right ?

I don't have to keep telling myself that, Eu businesses will not allow unelected dick heads to ruin them by not agreeing a free trade deal

The correct answer should be....

It doesn't matter as the cost will be passed over to the customer but as we all know daftest tradesman going is plastererswill no doubt suck it up!

The UK has its own sand, cements and chemical manufacturers and it now has a currency that's competitive.

Might be time to buy British.

I have a package coming from the states... been 3 weeks already 2 of which have been in the UK... tracking says it has been delivered... not to me though :-(

I have a package coming from the states... been 3 weeks already 2 of which have been in the UK... tracking says it has been delivered... not to me though :-(

I suspect it's not coming to you then, someone else has it

That Could mean it's with Royal Mail waiting for delivery , or/&
need customs paying

phone your local parcel force dept. after 2 weeks i would guess it is laying there. parcel force don't bother to tell you its in their hands. they will send it back to the states claiming you did not pick item up. i have had that before had to pay postage twice.

i guess the tracking stopped when your item entered uk. if parcel force have not received it it is in storage nr Heathrow awaiting customs charge.

All big companies in Northern Ireland are now renting units in the Republic of Ireland. So it's obviously going to cost a lot of money or they would not be doing it.

Enewall render up in scotland Is as British as it comes, they quarry there own sand and produce it all on site, it's a good quality render aswell.

they have been called quite a few different things in the past though havent they?

they have been called quite a few different things in the past though havent they?
They were called allwall but went bust in 2012 the directors then bought it as a going concern. Me and @jfe went up to the plant a few years ago to have a look around for the day.

It was sat in the post office for a week and they hit me with £14 of extra postage costs the bastards.... wont be ordering from the states again

Rising energy prices and environmental levies will have a greater impact on material prices over the next few years than import tariffs.

Everything is going up... always has done always will

Towards the end of last year there was a 60% increase in the price of brick and block. As @zombie pointed out that cost is passed onto the customer, and there's been no negative impact on the amount of work being done. Obviously it's not related to the price increases, but the amount of extension and new build work going on has increased considerably during the last two years.

I'm sure there are a few on here who like me are old enough to remember the hoo hah when petrol went to over £1 a gallon in 1980. You'd think that the world was coming to an end and all vehicles would be parked up and left to rot. People moaned, groaned, then paid the higher price and carried on as before.

All insulation is going Mental in price,

Pir foam such as Kingspan,Celotex etc are experiencing problems with a raw material that goes into it, as a result they've gone up in January, April and now this month it's up about 30% this year now. They issue what's called a majeure procedure which legally allows them to break there agreements with builders merchants, to increase there price And meaning they ration the supply of products to the building merchants so therefore the price can go up all the way along the chain, and as a result builders merchants don't have to honour there advertised prices for it.
Metal has just gone up 15% Rock and glass fibre 8% and our Parex supply has gone up 9% this year.
I don't know how much if any has a bearing with Brexit but I've been running a business 14 years this year and I've never seen anything like it, the only saving grace is that everyone is In The same boat with it.

Last edited:
Towards the end of last year there was a 60% increase in the price of brick and block. As @zombie pointed out that cost is passed onto the customer, and there's been no negative impact on the amount of work being done. Obviously it's not related to the price increases, but the amount of extension and new build work going on has increased considerably during the last two years.

I'm sure there are a few on here who like me are old enough to remember the hoo hah when petrol went to over £1 a gallon in 1980. You'd think that the world was coming to an end and all vehicles would be parked up and left to rot. People moaned, groaned, then paid the higher price and carried on as before.
I agree there's no negative effect on business, we've never been as busy. Everyone pays the same and the costs are just passed on, and the government gets a bigger tax return on the 20% vat take.

All insulation is going Mental in price,

Pir foam such as Kingspan,Celotex etc are experiencing problems with a raw material that goes into it, as a result they've gone up in January, April and now this month it's up about 30% this year now. They issue what's called a majeure procedure which legally allows them to break there agreements with builders merchants, to increase there price And meaning they ration the supply of products to the building merchants so therefore the price can go up all the way along the chain, and as a result builders merchants don't have to honour there advertised prices for it.
Metal has just gone up 15% Rock and glass fibre 8% and our Parex supply has gone up 9% this year.
I don't know how much if any has a bearing with Brexit but I've been running a business 14 years this year and I've never seen anything like it, the only saving grace is that everyone is In The same boat with it.

I needed a fair bit of insulation last week, it's a real pain to store so I get it as needed for the job. Anyway, I found that the common sizes of celotex or equivalent are still at the same price as before the latest increase because of stock levels. 100mm is £39 per sheet delivered and 75mm is £43. Acoustic rockwall for floors is heading up too at £30 a roll.

There's another 7.5% going on insulation in August. :nocausagracia:

were on a site at the moment and they are waiting 3 weeks for some more to come in, mega volumes over a 1000sq m its playing hell with scheduals. I don't know why they don't look at an equivalent such as eps to get to the u value.
its across the board with price increases this year on everything even our skips have gone up 12% this year, you can factor in inflation at a 2% increase but projects were doing now I'm on a fixed price from 6 months ago, so any increase is a real kick in the balls for us as my outgoings are huge.