Boarding and plastering new chimney breast (for hole-in-the-wall gas fire)

Members online

PaulZXC

Hi,

We've recently had a the living room chimney breast reinstated after previous owners ripped it out. Its made of out dense block and we've left the appropriate opening for the fire as instructed by our gas fitter. The gas fitter reckons we are fine to plasterboard (standard board) the whole breast but said we might as well use fire-resistant board as it's only a couple of quid more. He didn't mention that we needed to use fire-resistant adhesive (for dot and dabbing) or fire-resistant plaster for skimming the board. The fire is a Verine Eden Elite hole-in-the-wall, glass-fronted gas fire with a 4.55kW maximum heat output.

Would I be correct in thinking that he has not specifically mentioned fire-resistant materials because it's a glass-fronted gas fire and not a wood-burning stove which can reach much higher temperatures? I'm going to ask him this myself but just want the opinions of plasterers too.

The usual building suppliers stock fire-resistant boards/plaster at prices similar to standard board/multi-finish but then there's the Vitcas range. These are very expensive in comparison and I'm wondering if it's either overkill or necessary to buy the boards/adhesive/plaster from Vitcas considering the type of fire we are getting.

Any opinions?
Many thanks.

I would say it is going to get very hot around the opening... I would be looking at heat resistant plasters....

Don't take this the wrong way Paul I've had toast hotter than your fire !with4.55 kw maximum heat is barely warm in the winter!

Don't take this the wrong way Paul I've had toast hotter than your fire !with4.55 kw maximum heat is barely warm in the winter!
It's not the primary heat source for the room, we have central heating throughout. The heat output wasn't the be all and end all as we wanted a proper gas fire with a real flame and need to maximise space in the living room as we don't have the space for a big hearth. Didn't fancy the awful electric fires and wood-burning stoves have become extremely common in the last few years. Of course the stoves output more heat but it's not all about that for us.

Danny says heat resistant plasters as it gets very hot and Tinytom says any old sh*te will do. Who's right?

Depends how hot it gets... someone mentioned that it won't be that hot :)

I am not up to scratch on how hot fires got but always thought any fire was quite hot :')

Your heat resistant plasters are more for the inside of chimney openings when you have an open fire or a wood burning stove.

image.jpeg
skimmed and painted is boring!you want something like this

I've found most fires throw the heat out and don't really affect the wall. I have a wood burner and the chimney breast is always cool. A lot of modern wall fires are designed this way too. You could always sand and cement the brick?