Blue grit alternatives?

Members online

Cornelius

i prefer to use blue grit on artex ceilings but it's not great to spread and the coverage isn't great either, what other products are good pva obviously great but not on artex . Something nice and easy to spread with a decent coverage?

I never use blue grit on artex. I seal day before with artex sealer thinned a little.. 2 coats. Been doing it for 20+ years and 100s of ceilings and never had one problem. You can do it the same day but the artex can get a little soft when sealed so best let it dry plus the sealer works great when it's hardened off.. Takes about 12 hours to totally dry.. I use blue grit on wallpermer.. The old chalk like 1960s paint and rubbish backgrounds.

Oh. On emulsion. Bare plaster. Walls where paper have been removed. Old plasterboard.. Bla bla ect.. Artex sealer.. Never had any trouble. Cheap enough if thinned. Buy it from b and q

Betokontakt or Micro. Both much better alternatives. Because the aggregate is smaller it goes further and dries quicker. That's why they cost a bit more but well worth the extra.

Betokontakt or Micro. Both much better alternatives. Because the aggregate is smaller it goes further and dries quicker. That's why they cost a bit more but well worth the extra.
Does that gear smell like rotten farts.

B&Q stock both products to. Price puts me off both. Might take a closer look at sealer
i prefer to use blue grit on artex ceilings but it's not great to spread and the coverage isn't great either, what other products are good pva obviously great but not on artex . Something nice and easy to spread with a decent coverage?
I have never had plaster come off artex when using PVA. If the artex has been well painted.
It is a problem if the artex is young then reactivates. Makes it mush delaminates

I have never had plaster come off artex when using PVA. If the artex has been well painted.
It is a problem if the artex is young then reactivates. Makes it mush delaminates
I find uneven suction with Pva. Can be a real problem. The contract artex is so soft and will suck better than a... Well you know... Guess it's what works for you as some like it to set quick, so don't like to seal to well but I'm on my own so I need it to naturally set. I need all the time I can get with big ceilings

I find uneven suction with Pva. Can be a real problem. The contract artex is so soft and will suck better than a... Well you know... Guess it's what works for you as some like it to set quick, so don't like to seal to well but I'm on my own so I need it to naturally set. I need all the time I can get with big ceilings
Yip its what suits you.
Though gritting artex the day before is not a option for me,,,especially if its 1 ceiling.prep,time etc,,,

Yip its what suits you.
Though gritting artex the day before is not a option for me,,,especially if its 1 ceiling.prep,time etc,,,
You just got to charge if you think it can't be done same day. Your not doing yourself or customer any favours trying to do some surfaces the same day. I know it's difficult though. Guess it's down to your business practice and the market your in. I never skim anything other than plasterboard same day. Ever. That's me though. Seen some ceramic tiles skimmed last year in a kitchen. All done in a afternoon. Still puzzled how that was done?

You just got to charge if you think it can't be done same day. Your not doing yourself or customer any favours trying to do some surfaces the same day. I know it's difficult though. Guess it's down to your business practice and the market your in. I never skim anything other than plasterboard same day. Ever. That's me though. Seen some ceramic tiles skimmed last year in a kitchen. All done in a afternoon. Still puzzled how that was done?

So what the f**k do you do???

PVA a room go home and come back next day etc???

What a waste of a day???

So what the f**k do you do???

PVA a room go home and come back next day etc???

What a waste of a day???
Small jobs I prep at the end of day and work in to my travel plans if I can. Sticky plastic around floor edges. Masking. Sheeting up. Scraped. Sealed. Blue grit if needed. Don't always set beads but always nice if you can get them on the day before. Most jobs take half day to prep I find. So lounge ceiling is 2 half days.. Bedroom ceiling and walls is half day prep and a day to skim it and tidy up. Just how i work. Domestic jobs have carpet and furniture to deal with

Small jobs I prep at the end of day and work in to my travel plans if I can. Sticky plastic around floor edges. Masking. Sheeting up. Scraped. Sealed. Blue grit if needed. Don't always set beads but always nice if you can get them on the day before. Most jobs take half day to prep I find. So lounge ceiling is 2 half days.. Bedroom ceiling and walls is half day prep and a day to skim it and tidy up. Just how i work. Domestic jobs have carpet and furniture to deal with

That would fry my brain!

Same job I'd be there for 8 prepped up by 10... Mix up, trowel up & home 3-4pm.

No wasted petrol/time & customer only needing to be home for 1 day.

But hey ho don't do for us all to be same!

Are we on about un painted bare artex here or painted?

If it's painted why the hell anyone still thinks it's worth spending money and time messing around priming it up is beyond me , waiting hours or over night to be ready to skim :wtf:

If it's painted why the hell anyone still thinks it's worth spending money and time messing around priming it up is beyond me , waiting hours or over night to be ready to skim :wtf:
I doubt very much its not painted.customers don't want two half days for a one visit hit.

That would fry my brain!

Same job I'd be there for 8 prepped up by 10... Mix up, trowel up & home 3-4pm.

No wasted petrol/time & customer only needing to be home for 1 day.

But hey ho don't do for us all to be same!
Your a better spread than me then.. Guess I'm getting old. I'm f**k*d buy 3pm and starting to really hurt. Have to pace myself theses days. Government thinks I have to work doing this when I'm in my 60s. God!

Is this blue grit thistle bond or the same ? I used 8 buckets of thistle bond yesterday and was running short so I watered down the last bucket with about a litre of water . It made a huge difference in stretching it

I'm guessing Vincey ur talking unifinish?
And if so what if it's thick artex and u need a magic mix, would u mix uni with bonding?

I'm guessing Vincey ur talking unifinish?
And if so what if it's thick artex and u need a magic mix, would u mix uni with bonding?
I wouldn't mate tbh I think the bonding is a waste of time, I'd just mix the unifinish up thicker , tbh in my mind if it needs bonding in I'd just over board instead.

But have heard of a few people doing zommix with uni and were ok