Blistering

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SkinnyBeachBum

Hi,

I skimmed a kitchen ceiling on monday night and the plaster started to blister up, anybody know why this was?

It was over artex and I have unibonded it ect.

I had to cut the blisters out and then re apply the finish..... looked ok in the end.

SkinnyBeachBum

This has happend to me before I did the same just cut it out and re applied. I think its due to grease on ceilings in kitchens.

I have also watched a ceiling completly come away.... I just wanted to cry

I definiately thinks grease

Danny

Hi my two peneth worth is ,

Leave it untill just about to go off and the blisters will trowel out .

These are air bubbles sometimes caused by applying finish when pva has not dried properly or when backing coat has been pva d adn neither has dried,and has Danny said it can also be grease etc ....but if the surface has been preped properly should not be a prob...I know that s easier to say than do when the pressures on,,,,,,,,,

BUT Remember dont panic it will trowel back 9 times out of ten

A1

unless its new board I always sugar soap kitchen ceilings cos grease is a pig. That said too much water can cause it.
I've also had it over new backing plaster cos I didn't let it go off enough!

i was told it blisters if you put the second skim on to soon(touch test where you started your wall/ceilling. it should b firm but damp).

I dont think the seccond coat went on too soon I tend to let it hang before 2nd coat

thanks anyway

Danny

if the artex is painted yhis does not help as the water in the glue and plaster just sits on top of the painted artex and has no where to go except down with the help of gravity so th eplaster will fall off .

Blistering is caused by moisture being trapped and as the moisture gets sucked out it leaves voids. These can be trowled out later by pressing on quite hard on the final trowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.