Best and cheapest render for exterior cement boards

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimLE

Hi Guys,

What's the answer to the above. I've been thinking of K Rend but it's expensive. Any of you got ideas?

Thanks

John

I know what you mean mate but I'm building affordable houses in the Welsh Valleys where the values are low. I just need an alternative to K-Rend that costs less. There must be one on the market?
JF

Hi John

There are somewhere near 20 different render system suppliers in the UK..... almost all of them offer renders for use onto boarded systems.

Don't always take the material costs as being the on the wall costs, the best thing to do would be to contact a few of the system suppliers direct and ask them to advise their products / systems for use onto boards, then make your choice.

some of what seem to be the more expensive material cost products, actually are the easiest to use and give the best finish (as well as become the easiest to maintain)......

Feel free to get in touch with me to discuss - if you like.

Richard Lord
Aquapanel Render Board Specification Manager
07918766577 - rlord@knauf.co.uk

if you are looking for a long term quality onto board I would certainly use a hi polymer adhesive mesh and acrylic finish system rather than a monocouche krend (unless you meant krend HPX mesh and silicone TC finish system)

A good polymer adhesive base will cost around 17 - 22 plus vat per bag and do about 4/5 square metres at 4/5mm thick mesh is around 38 plus vat. texture finish is around 52 - 65 per tub plus vat and typically covers ten metres.

its a higher spec needed than your 9 quid a bag per metre monocouche that goes over block. if you know richard call he will explain about thin coat or get onto an applicator from here.

Weber will not warrant putting an OCR onto a board.... epecially with Rend Aid..... It is far too rigid, and will crack.

There are applications for OCR, but onto a board is not one of them... (although, I bet a lot of you guys have done it...)

Use a product / system fit for the application. Boarded render applications are for framed buildings (timber and SIP mainly, but some SFS), all of which will move and settle over time (brick and block builds are not suppost to settle - but some foundations will drop) - hence the use of suitably flexible materials on builds that will move.

As JFE has pointed out, the m2 prices for materials are not that different, and they are all a minimum of 2 day render applications....

I recently did a Brickrend finish on a timber framed building with plywood sheets, I used fibreglass mesh bedded into Parex Maite then grey K-Mix and Golden Buff Brickrend, it hasn't budged a mm, as long as the cement boards are meshed he'be fine

Not sure where to start with that post Marko...... Plywood is not a suitable render carrier - it will twist and move over time..... But, Parex Maite is a suitable product onto a render carrier board (with a mesh, fine), but then you used a different finish product......

I bet all that was a bit more that the OCR cost (and RendAid) you posted earlier (OK your client wanted a brick finish...)

Nothing wrong with using what you want.... you price a job, you take the risk.... but the pro render spreads on here - who work with the manufacturers and offer what the client wants and expects - will wince at your posts....

There will be people who agree and disagree with you on here, but posts on this forum will be here for a LONG time, and it is best to say the proper thing for clients to understand, as well as for future reference / spread generations

Fat arms right Lordy, I've been plastering for 34 years, probably longer than you've been breathing, I've forgot more than you'll ever know, the company I work for, Brick Magic from Sunderland did exactly the same thing on a £400,000 house in Tynemouth, if its good enough for them then it's good enough for the garden shed I did

I thought that the Beddy initiation was degrading....... :RpS_crying:

Well and truely owned.......

BTW - who do I need to contact at Brick Magic....? (So I can introduce the proper way of doing this sort of work.... every cloud has a silver lining and all that.....)

Last edited:
Rendaid with mesh, then sand and cement pebble dash (everythings pebble dashed in wales) Or just rub it flat, if you want to be cautious put a litre of SBR in each mix to give it some flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.