beading question?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballsdeep

hi,fellas,am i right in thinking you use a stop bead above the damp proof course for external rendering or would you use a bell cast bead/drip bead or are they all the same thing but different terms? cheers

ballsdeep said:
hi,fellas,am i right in thinking you use a stop bead above the damp proof course for external rendering or would you use a bell cast bead/drip bead or are they all the same thing but different terms? cheers
render stop is the same as a drip bead and a stop bead is different just the sq edge one

I use stop beads them bellcasts look wank!

All this nonsense about keeping the water off the wall, well someone needs to tell the rain that hits the floor and splashes - that its not allowed too :)

This is just something that was started before cavity walls were invented and doesnt count anymore.

nelly said:
I use stop beads them bellcasts look wank!

All this nonsense about keeping the water off the wall, well someone needs to tell the rain that hits the floor and splashes - that its not allowed too :)

This is just something that was started before cavity walls were invented and doesnt count anymore.
yes i agree

stop beads are often used but it is wrong really as they are 90 deg to the wall where water could sit. a bell or drip (same thing) is sloped at the back so the water cannot travel upward onto the substrate. people use stops because they dont like a bell bottom wall but you can use the same size profile drip as your angles and still finish the wall flat

the only time ive used a stop instead of bellcast is because it was a job in toxteth and I didnt want to give the kids the opportunity to kick it off!

i know a lad who had to three coat a wall in the spec and he was using stops for bellcasts ..........wonder if it was to keep the drip away from the wall ???

Just to clarify the difference between drip beads and bell cast beads. Drip beads have a 90degree wing return, whereas a bellcast bead has somewhere between a 110-120degree wing return.

Drip beads
Drip Bead used above doors, windows and at DPC level offering a profile flush with the rest of the render. The Drip Bead prevents the retention of water that can often bring staining at the bottom of the render.

Bell Cast Bead
Bell Cast Bead (also known as Render Stop Bead) is used to form and protect the lower edge of external render. Designed to deliver a gentle gradient at the base of the render, it is used above doors, windows and at DPC level to allow rainwater to drain clear of the underlying substrate.

also,you shouldnt use bellcast beads on mono, We always use drips on window, door heads and along the bottom edge, apart from stopping any water back tracking you also have a fine nib to the bead , stopbead has a wide nib which can look sh@t

Status
Not open for further replies.