bay window damp

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc2510

Hello guys,

Cut a long story short i recently got a new house and i noticed the bay window was getting damp under the window.

I decided to remove the plaster board and have a look behind it.

It was dot and dabbed on top of some sort of bichmen and sand cement?
I decided to hack this off to give the wall a chance to breath bricks were very wet behind the bichmen.

i also noticed timber very wet i dont even know why these were here?

So the reason im posting this is i would like some suggestions to fix this damp issue, would it be a better idea to batten and board the wall and allow the bricks to breath!? I have also removed the render from the external wall out side the bay window!

I will attach images asap

Images

Attachments

• 20160116_181740.jpg
    20160116_181740.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,093
  • 20160116_181752.jpg
    20160116_181752.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,197
  • 20160116_181839.jpg
    20160116_181839.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,093
  • 20160116_181850.jpg
    20160116_181850.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,112
Bitumen was used years back to stop damp coming through. Not sure about your random bit of timber in the wall but the first thing i would check is that the cavity is clean and you have plenty airbricks for cavity/ subfloor ventilation

Timbers look a bit big but usually there to fix the skirting to check round the window to see if water is getting in then let it dry out. Then render and skim

I reckon that bit of wood meant to be wedged into the brickwork so they can nail the skirting up. Get a dehumidifier leave it on non stop so you can see how much water it draws. Have a look outside how low is compared to the floor inside, check gutters etc. Check cavity as Arti says above if you got any. There's loads of options, you can tank it, membrane it, etc. Invite a few professional around to give you their opinions.

Doubt it's a cavity wall.

Ensure good subfloor ventilation, and that the external ground level is lower than the internal floor level.

Are the Windows sealed correctly? Was the render you removed on good order? Does the bay have its own roof, in good order including the gutters and down pipes.

The timbers are likely for fixing the skirtings. Simply remove and brick up solid.

All this needs to be checked before you think about reinstating plasterwork.

Guys what can i use to stop the huge draft im getting where the floor boards meet the bricks? Some board are short by an inch or so.. can i use expanding foam? Solid wall btw no cavity

Guys what can i use to stop the huge draft im getting where the floor boards meet the bricks? Some board are short by an inch or so.. can i use expanding foam? Solid wall btw no cavity

Expanding foam?? There is mean to be a gap. It allows for expansion and keeps the boards from rotting from the damp brickwork.

Once the wall is plastered and skirted the draft will only ventilate the base of the wall.

Check for any external defects. Inject dpc cream (probably not needed but for the Cost why not). Replaster with limelite renovating or similar. New skirtings. Leave a month and paint.

Expanding foam?? There is mean to be a gap. It allows for expansion and keeps the boards from rotting from the damp brickwork.

Once the wall is plastered and skirted the draft will only ventilate the base of the wall.

Check for any external defects. Inject dpc cream (probably not needed but for the Cost why not). Replaster with limelite renovating or similar. New skirtings. Leave a month and paint.

Disagree there Carlos mate. The expanding foam won't let the damp bridge, is compress able , stops any draughts above floor board level but shouldn't stop it below boards. All in, a win win situation

Disagree there Carlos mate. The expanding foam won't let the damp bridge, is compress able , stops any draughts above floor board level but shouldn't stop it below boards. All in, a win win situation

I worded that badly. Expanding foam is the best thing for the job. I was trying to explain the reason for the gap.......and failed

Status
Not open for further replies.