1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Aviation snips

Discussion in 'Fibrous Plastering Discussions' started by GT Cornicer, Sep 10, 2017.

1. GT Cornicer

GT Cornicer New Member

HI all

I was wandering if anyone knows where I can get a set of left and right aviation snips with smooth blades? Even a Google search kept coming up with serrated blades.

Also when I run a profile out ready for fibreglassing, should I shellac it within a couple of hours or when the plaster has fully dried?

I'm cutting the zinc today so any tips to make it smoother, easier are much appreciated. I have done it on a course but I want it to be decent as I'm super fussy!

2. raggles

raggles Private Member

Just take the serrations out with a half round file.

3. Olican

Olican Private Member

Forget google , try 'Ask Jeeves '

4. superspread

superspread Private Member

Shellac straight away

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jamesthefirst

jamesthefirst Private Member

Are you in the usa?

6. bobski

bobski Active Member

Lycos
    ;)

7. GT Cornicer

GT Cornicer New Member

No, in West Sussex, England. I got lucky and found some yesterday made by midwest. Which are made in the USA. Haven't tried them out yet as already finished the zinc template.

8. mikeadams1985

mikeadams1985 Private Member

no chance, let it dry as much as possible.
    shellac reacts with water untill its set. if theres anywater on the surface the shellac will flake off easily

9. mikeadams1985

Have you tried a jigsaw with a metal blade? ditched the snips years ago in favour of jigsaw

10. GT Cornicer

GT Cornicer New Member

Thanks mate. We did it the same day on the course but obviously no time to wait. Will run out a foot of the plaster to make sure I sanded the zinc well enough before I run 3 metres.

11. GT Cornicer

GT Cornicer New Member

No but I will give that a go on the next profile. I take it will need a lot of sanding afterwards?

12. superspread

So when you run a mould you don't shellac ready for casting straight away ?? You leave it a day? 2/3 days ?? Rubbish!!

I've always shellacked straight away , well an hour at least and never had any problems

13. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

14. GT Cornicer

GT Cornicer New Member

Just googled the shellac debate and saw this. Doesn't mean it's right I know, but it may be?

Shellac Liquid sealer (french polish). The traditional sealer for plaster moulds or patterns, being spirit based it is not softened by solvents such as styrene. For plaster reverse moulds it is best applied while the the wet plaster is still warm from casting. Failing this if the cast can't be warmed it should be left to dry before applying the shellac. Not recommended for sealing plaster prior to applying silicone rubber.

15. mikeadams1985

What i was saying was if theres any water on the surface it will peel, we do shellac after an hour or so as you say but if theres any real dampness when applying on the surface it will peel off..
    im not saying bone dry, just make sure theres no wet spots on the surface...

• Like Like x 1
  16. superspread

Why would there be any water or wet spots on a newly run mould ?? The final pass will make sure there's none of that going on

17. mikeadams1985

If you have to fill any spots afterwards
    sand a bit maybe
    or sometimes a wet mist whilst running gives it a really nice polish but can leave some water on the surface.

• Like Like x 2
  18. superspread

Mm