Any Need?

Members online

roryston

Chatting with my old boss this morning about tools

Talking about all these new super flexy, speedy finishing, no need for troweling, etc tools about now....

He's the best spread I know and very set in original ways, 1 trowel for rendering 1 for skimming, hawk, gauger, and bucket trowel. He says there would be no market for these tools if the quality of the plaster wasn't so shite. 10 years ago there was nothing wrong with skim, always predictable and used to be lovely gear, he thinks since all these new tools been released the quality of the plaster has dropped.......

I can vouch for multi finish being absolutely crap over the past couple of years and I'm sure I few of you lads agree, but would that be the reason why all these new tools are starting to take over the traditional tools?

Talking about all these new super flexy, speedy finishing, no need for troweling, etc tools about now....

He's the best spread I know and very set in original ways, 1 trowel for rendering 1 for skimming, hawk, gauger, and bucket trowel. He says there would be no market for these tools if the quality of the plaster wasn't so shite. 10 years ago there was nothing wrong with skim, always predictable and used to be lovely gear, he thinks since all these new tools been released the quality of the plaster has dropped.......

I can vouch for multi finish being absolutely crap over the past couple of years and I'm sure I few of you lads agree, but would that be the reason why all these new tools are starting to take over the traditional tools?

Stand by the fact there is no need for all these tools ...... but

The speedy skims do make a lovely flat wall out of anything ..... I can't personally finish with them though and the flexy trowels are easier on the body. Have a feeling I don't use them like everyone else but I do use 1 carbon that I use to lay on to finish sometimes .... it is defiantly harder on my shoulder (which is fooked)

They wouldn't keep on selling if they where no good.

Mate at one point I had my mt a plazi a super flex and a speed skim when I was on jobs I thought one day why am I doing all this when it's not needed so went back to basics and got a new trowel to lay on speed skim off then only use one trowel to finish it suits me now but some do like to try other stuff glad I've tried but just ain't for me

I do also think that these newer tools deal with the finish of today better. But that's is the gear we have nowadays

It all goes round. Years ago we used smaller trowels, splashed water about, and it was all good. Lighter trowels and the like take less toll on your body imo. Now I barely use any water. Flatten with a speedy, clean beads corners etc trowel over with a plaza or nela......done. I love it.

It all goes round. Years ago we used smaller trowels, splashed water about, and it was all good. Lighter trowels and the like take less toll on your body imo. Now I barely use any water. Flatten with a speedy, clean beads corners etc trowel over with a plaza or nela......done. I love it.

I was tought to finish with an 11inch steelie. I actually took it out the van yesterday, quite sad really I used it for 10+years, razor sharp but now notvat all

I was tought to finish with an 11inch steelie. I actually took it out the van yesterday, quite sad really I used it for 10+years, razor sharp but now notvat all
I was taught to spread with an 11 inch steel then flatten and finish with a 14" stainless mt. worked like this for nearly 5 years any size hit always laid on with the 11"

It's more stuff to do imo I've taken back to how I was taught 18 years ago and I feel better for it I don't knock ones who do use the extra tool,I'm all for making job easier as plastering is hard work regardless but I was way over complicating things

Been using my ox ultra flex to trowel up with for a quite a while now and not had any problems with tiger stripes since.

I bought the fancy kit a couple of months ago - everyone said that they're great and plasterers are such a bunch of set in their ways people that I figured it must be good.

Shame no bugger can agree on how to use them.

I found laying on with the old MT was best and trowel in with with a 14" refina, no water.

I have a speedskim but I'll be fooked if I can figure out how to use it - just pulled everything off the wall with it. I've a few days with a firm this week, so hopefully, I'll find someone to show me what I'm doing wrong.

It's all about timing. I find I can get on it a bit later with the speedy, and still get it to "fat up" with little or no water, and flatten in nicely for the first coat. Second coat, much the same and then a tidy up with my mediflex, I sometimes run a dry, steel speedy over using a tiny bit of mist right at the end just to give it that "feel".

Multi skim speedy flex didn't exist when I was a lad so you can't miss what you've never had. Saying that plaster isn't the same it's less fatty. Can't say if that has anything to do with new tools or not.

Multi skim speedy flex didn't exist when I was a lad so you can't miss what you've never had. Saying that plaster isn't the same it's less fatty. Can't say if that has anything to do with new tools or not.
No, nor me. I'm a sucker for new tools though.

I'm wondering if the trend of as little water as pos is why multi is rubbish, personally I can't do it without water but I don't really have any problems with it ....... except setting times anyway.

I'm wondering if the trend of as little water as pos is why multi is rubbish, personally I can't do it without water but I don't really have any problems with it ....... except setting times anyway.

The new flexi tools don't need water.