1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Any help please?

Discussion in 'DIY Plastering - Plastering Help - DIY Plastering ' started by ColinT56, May 14, 2017.

1. ColinT56

ColinT56 New Member

Two coats of plaster over lightly combed artex ceiling, both coats dried quickly and a large area came down about two hours later and also a few small areas where it had not bonded properly.
    Any advice please?

2. Olican

Olican Private Member

Pva or pregrit?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

get some pics up... and the bits that came down what was on the back of the plaster was it white?

4. bopper

bopper Active Member

Yes you could of used the" zombie mix " or you could of gritted the ceiling after a scrape and them skimmed it.

5. ColinT56

ColinT56 New Member

I didn't pva. Not white on back of what came off, just grooved as artex. I've taken it all off now and pva'd ceiling, do you think this will be enough with another pva before re-skimming?
    I'm looking up pre-grit!

6. ColinT56

ColinT56 New Member

Is pre-grit liquid, brushed on.
    Don't think the ceiling was non- porous, as first coat dried quickly?
    Thanks for replies.

7. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

what plaster did you use?

8. zombie

zombie Private Member

Given previous issues

Underboard & skim though tbh much better to get a plasterer in pal

9. Ajax123

Ajax123 Member

dried too fast. substrate sucked the moisture out too quick meaning bond could not form. pva or prime should do the trick.
    on dry subsrates I often spray with water before skimming. never had an issue.
    I have watched my render peel off before though....im not good with render

• Like Like x 1
  10. ColinT56

ColinT56 New Member

Used Thistle Multi Finish. Agree and hope Ajax123 is correct and think I'll try again with another coat of pva?
    I think I must have been Very lucky in the past because I've never pva'd a ceiling if it's been in good condition and painted. Lucky!

"zombie mix" a mix of bonding and multi finish?

Thanks for your help.

11. Cockney1

Cockney1 Active Member

No p.v.a :eek:!!! There's the answer to your question. Unfortunately you have found out the hard way about plastering. Why didn't you just get a local plasterer in to do it. Plastering is not for AMATEURS!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Marshy

Marshy Private Member

Run and bloody fast

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Lodan

Lodan Private Member

PVA everything

14. Cockney1

Cockney1 Active Member

Hahaha!!! Don't slam the door on the way out!

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Dropsalot

Dropsalot Private Member

Picture the scene.........Colin's got spag Bol on the go, wine on the table, her indoors is "making herself a little more comfortable"........Col, never one to miss a trick whacks the heating up a tad........and gets the lynx out.......
    She comes down all alluring and hair swishing and stuff, Col gives the spag Bol a bit of a stir, knocks it down to a low simmer, grabs her indoors for a quick fumble and "boom" (as the yoof say).....artex and skim all over the place.......(y)

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. ColinT56

ColinT56 New Member

Ha ha, had time for a quick fumble between coats!!

For those not reading the thread, I have taken the whole lot down as stated earlier.

Is "Zombie Mix" bonding coat and multi finish mix? please

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. bopper

bopper Active Member

Yes more skim than bonding tho

18. Formby plastering

Formby plastering Active Member

You would of been better practicing on a wall first to be fair.. and a little bit of research on preparation before you started aswell.

19. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

yes a few handfuls of bonding mixed into a bag of multifinish

20. ColinT56

ColinT56 New Member

Thanks for advice, I'll do a little less fumbling and try again!! :)

21. Fatarm

Fatarm Trainee mod

Put a pre coat of plasterboard on it then skimalola.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formby plastering

Probably best if the missus is out

23. Jessica222

Jessica222 New Member

It depends on which plaster you have used for coating. Also, it matters how you applied the coats twice.

24. Recaro

Recaro New Member

Sounds like the boards mates, Can use Blue grit, leave for 24hrs then PVA and skim as normal. that should do it. Blue grit from Tool station £15 for 5ltrs

25. Lodan

Lodan Private Member

Its not on boards

26. JessThePlasterer

JessThePlasterer Well-Known Member

Hey there's only one Jess the plasterer round these parts! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Recaro

Recaro New Member

If not on boards then walls it should be ok

28. Marshy

Marshy Private Member

Buy a massive dildo a vibrating one and plug it to the mains and shove it deep up your arse for being an incompetent fuckwit !! Here endeth the lesson

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. Olican

Olican Private Member

Pmsl

• Like Like x 1
  30. Optimum

Optimum Member

It's called distemper the white chalky stuff board over it then skim stuff is a fxxking nightmare can't even paint over it

31. Formby plastering

're board and skim simples

32. Recaro

Recaro New Member

wouldn't blue grit or bond it applied then skim, wouldn't that do it?

33. Formby plastering

You've just had issues with it listen to the easiest option or your wasting your time

34. bobski

bobski Active Member

Are you on about gritting it?
    And then pva over grit?

35. Recaro

Recaro New Member

Just blue grit and then skim, no Pva needed