And it's a Hello from Bettertax

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
John you don,t have the gross payment card ?where you deal with your own tax ?
Too small for that Keith, they seemingly only give it to the bigger contractors, sometimes I run invoices in my guys name and then he earns it through wages

Too small for that Keith, they seemingly only give it to the bigger contractors, sometimes I run invoices in my guys name and then he earns it through wages
I thought it was only base on a 60 k turn over ,must be wrong ,sorry mate :RpS_blushing:

I thought it was only base on a 60 k turn over ,must be wrong ,sorry mate :RpS_blushing:
Because I used to do a house refurb per year , I only worked cis for six months, 2009 was a quiet year, six months off over 2012 with broken leg and a house refurbthis year also six weeks off and a house refurb for three months so earnings are kept low.

If you run a business that meets certain conditions, you can ask HMRC to register you for gross payment. Your business must:
do construction work in the UK and be run largely through a bank account
have a construction turnover, excluding VAT and the cost of materials, of at least £30,000 each year (more for partnerships and most companies)
have complied with all its tax obligations
Before HMRC can grant you gross payment status so you can get paid with no deductions, you'll need to show them that your business passes three tests.
Business test
You'll need to show HMRC that your business:
carries out construction work - or provides labour for construction work - in the UK
is run largely through a bank account
Turnover test
HMRC will look at your business turnover from construction work for the 12 months before you apply for gross payment status. Ignoring VAT and the cost of materials, your construction turnover must be at least:
£30,000 if you're a sole-trader
£30,000 for each partner in a partnership, or at least £200,000 for the whole partnership
£30,000 for each director of a company, or at least £200,000 for the whole company
If five people or fewer control your company, it must have an annual construction turnover of at least £30,000 for each of these individuals.
Compliance test
You and any directors or partners in the business, or beneficial shareholders (where the company is controlled by five or fewer persons) must have submitted all tax returns and paid all tax due on time in the 12 months before your application. If HMRC has asked for any information about your tax affairs in that period, you'll need to have given it to them.
You're allowed a few lapses or late payments in the 12 months and HMRC will ignore any, or all, of the following failures:
three late submissions of the CIS contractor monthly return, including 'nil' returns - up to 28 days late
three late payments of CIS/PAYE deductions - up to 14 days late
one late payment of Self Assessment tax - up to 28 days late
any employer's end of year return made late
any late payment of Corporation Tax - up to 28 days late, including where any shortfall in the payment has incurred an interest charge but no penalty
any Self Assessment return made late
any payment not made by the due date, where it is less than £100
If HMRC agree that you can be paid gross, you must declare your payments in your tax return at the end of the tax year.
If you are paid gross you may be subject to something called a Tax Treatment Qualification Test (TTQT) also known as a Scheduled Review. HMRC may check that you still qualify for gross tax payment.
i give credit to hmrc online

Last edited:
I knew it was 30k ,just being:RpS_wink: polite
Surprised myself that its so low, have to sort my paperwork,my tax yr is end of July and the hmrc are happy to,receive accounts from July to July, I mislaid 25k one year and they were pissed off but it was only clerical error, the banks still don't like us self employed people when it comes to loans or mortgages though

If you run a business that meets certain conditions, you can ask HMRC to register you for gross payment. Your business must:
do construction work in the UK and be run largely through a bank account
have a construction turnover, excluding VAT and the cost of materials, of at least £30,000 each year (more for partnerships and most companies)
have complied with all its tax obligations
Before HMRC can grant you gross payment status so you can get paid with no deductions, you'll need to show them that your business passes three tests.
Business test
You'll need to show HMRC that your business:
carries out construction work - or provides labour for construction work - in the UK
is run largely through a bank account
Turnover test
HMRC will look at your business turnover from construction work for the 12 months before you apply for gross payment status. Ignoring VAT and the cost of materials, your construction turnover must be at least:
£30,000 if you're a sole-trader
£30,000 for each partner in a partnership, or at least £200,000 for the whole partnership
£30,000 for each director of a company, or at least £200,000 for the whole company
If five people or fewer control your company, it must have an annual construction turnover of at least £30,000 for each of these individuals.
Compliance test
You and any directors or partners in the business, or beneficial shareholders (where the company is controlled by five or fewer persons) must have submitted all tax returns and paid all tax due on time in the 12 months before your application. If HMRC has asked for any information about your tax affairs in that period, you'll need to have given it to them.
You're allowed a few lapses or late payments in the 12 months and HMRC will ignore any, or all, of the following failures:
three late submissions of the CIS contractor monthly return, including 'nil' returns - up to 28 days late
three late payments of CIS/PAYE deductions - up to 14 days late
one late payment of Self Assessment tax - up to 28 days late
any employer's end of year return made late
any late payment of Corporation Tax - up to 28 days late, including where any shortfall in the payment has incurred an interest charge but no penalty
any Self Assessment return made late
any payment not made by the due date, where it is less than £100
If HMRC agree that you can be paid gross, you must declare your payments in your tax return at the end of the tax year.
If you are paid gross you may be subject to something called a Tax Treatment Qualification Test (TTQT) also known as a Scheduled Review. HMRC may check that you still qualify for gross tax payment.

This lot looks familiar................:RpS_unsure:

This lot looks familiar................:RpS_unsure:
In the 1st century, the use of the Latin word plagiarius (literally kidnapper), to denote someone stealing someone else's work, was pioneered by Roman poet Martial, who complained that another poet had "kidnapped his verses." This use of the word was introduced into English in 1601 by dramatist Ben Jonson, to describe as a plagiary someone guilty of literary theft.[7][9]
The derived form plagiarism was introduced into English around 1620.[10] The Latin plagiārius, "kidnapper", and plagium, "kidnapping", has the root plaga ("snare", "net"), based on the Indo-European root *-plak, "to weave" (seen for instance in Greek plekein, Bulgarian "плета" pleta, Latin plectere, all meaning "to weave").
Legal aspects[edit]

Although plagiarism in some contexts is considered theft or stealing, the concept does not exist in a legal sense. "Plagiarism" is not mentioned in any current statute, either criminal or civil.[11][8] Some cases may be treated as unfair competition or a violation of the doctrine of moral rights.[8] The increased availability of intellectual property due to a rise in technology has furthered the debate as to whether copyright offences are criminal.[citation needed] In short, people are asked to use the guideline, "...if you did not write it yourself, you must give credit."[12][unreliable source?]
Plagiarism is not the same as copyright infringement. While both terms may apply to a particular act, they are different concepts. Copyright infringement is a violation of the rights of a copyright holder, when material restricted by copyright is used without consent. On the other hand, the moral concept of plagiarism is concerned with the unearned increment to the plagiarizing author's reputation that is achieved through false claims of authorship. Plagiarism is not illegal towards the author, but towards the reader, patron or teacher. Even when copyright has expired, false claims of authorship may still constitute plagiarism.i give credit to wikepedia

Sorry for the delay... Johniosaif has already answered, in his plageurised way :).

Here's a shorter version:

As a “normal” contractor who goes to work, gets paid and goes home you are known as CIS 4 as far as the tax office is concerned.

If you take on guys, you are supposed to change your CIS status to CIS 6 or CIS Gross as it is known. For the purposes of your situation, it would be easier to account in a slightly different way. We'd suggest you ask your subbie to invoice you for the work he has completed. You pay him gross and then it is down to the guy who works for you to make sure his tax is paid on account when he completes his Self Assessment at the end of the year.

If this is going to be an ongoing project for you, do please give us a call, for some free advice. We can help change a few things for you, get you set up with a payroll company who will then complete your pay roll for you at the end of each week.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.