Advice please - sealing monocouche to window frames

Pjt76

Hi,

I have had an extension rendered with Weber pral M monocouche as part of a home improvement project.

An inspection has shown up some problems, including the fact that the guy who did the work has rendered hard up to the window and door frames (no beads / sealant between render and frame).

The advice given is that to make it weathertight around the frames the render now needs to be cut back around the frames to form an approx 6mm x 6mm cut which should then be filled with a good quality sealant.

I'm worried about whether it's going to be possible to do this now, without damaging the window / door frames. Any suggestions about how best to tackle this, and most appropriate tool for the job?

Also regarding sealant, is a decent polysulphide a good choice?

Many thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited:
When we used the permarock system. Yes s**t I know. But they made us put a pvc bead with a sticky back around all widows and doors before we could render. This did away with needing to use silicone.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks both.

Cutting it back and running sealant into the groove is what Weber have recommended.

Would running a bead of sealant down the join without doing this still give a lasting / weathertight seal?

Make sure your using a good quality sealant something with a least
a 25% flexibility factor.

Go around the frames with a small tool to create an expansion gap.

Silicone on drying out.

Pity they dont make 10mm abu beads.

2017-05-04_11-12-09_734.jpeg 2017-05-04_11-10-34_381.jpeg 2017-05-04_11-10-43_486.jpeg 2017-05-04_11-11-11_535.jpeg 2017-05-04_11-10-57_127.jpeg 2017-05-04_11-11-05_798.jpeg 2017-05-04_11-11-36_949.jpeg 2017-05-04_11-11-53_958.jpeg 2017-05-04_11-11-59_628.jpeg 2017-05-04_11-12-19_939.jpeg

Thanks all.

Some pics attached.

@Rigsby - what kind of tool are you thinking? (hand tool / cutter for multitool?)
Re sealant, quality silicone better option than polysulphide?

Thanks all.

Some pics attached.

@Rigsby - what kind of tool are you thinking? (hand tool / cutter for multitool?)
Re sealant, quality silicone better option than polysulphide?
It is a plastering tool called a small tool. But anything what is thin and can be used as a blade to cut a 1-2mm gap between the render and frame.

The usual window frame sealant is what I use.

It is a plastering tool called a small tool. But anything what is thin and can be used as a blade to cut a 1-2mm gap between the render and frame.

The usual window frame sealant is what I use.
OK, thanks Rigsby. Just done a quick search for small tool and see what you're talking about now. Appreciate the help.

None that we're aware of.

Then your trying to solve an issue that doesn't exist.

Just put some sealant on the joint where render meets the window and it will be fine.

If it was going to leak and you done it 2 years ago you would see problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, good approach! Meaning you will get a decorative finish as well as a weather proofing layer. Apply in one coat around 15mm thick. You have no need for subsequent painting.

Hello ,who inspected your property ,was it specified that a cut into the window reveal was required.
Did Weber provide you with any window reveal details